Married women to be barred from airports!!

Old Oct 16, 07, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Wink Married women to be barred from airports!!

New license rules slam some legal residents
By Eric Kelderman, Stateline.org Staff Writer

In April, Wisconsin began enforcing a new law to prohibit illegal immigrants from getting driver's licenses, but several longtime legal residents ran into unexpected hurdles to keeping their driving privileges under the rules.
An 82-year old World War II refugee from Poland, a Cuban immigrant who arrived during the 1980 Mariel boatlift and Laotians who came to the United States after the Vietnam War were among those who had a hard time proving they were in the country legally, said Patrick Fernan, deputy director of the Wisconsin motor vehicles department.

Citizens in other states also have been surprised by tighter driverís license requirements, including in Georgia, where some women who took their husbands' last names have had their licenses revoked because their surnames no longer matched their Social Security numbers.

http://www.stateline.org/live/detail...ntentId=248790
Old Oct 16, 07, 4:46 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
MrsJ has said many times if she knew the hassles of changing her name beforehand, she would have never done so. Oddly, some places that you would think would be really really careful about such things (like the SSA, the bank and credit union) just changed it without even asking for the marriage certificate! But changing her magazines or Sam's Club card took an act of congress!
Old Oct 17, 07, 6:21 am
Suspended

Several months ago, I saw a segment on the news in which a woman in NJ said it had taken her many months and cost her over $1,000, including lost wages, in order to get her name changed on her social security card so she could renew her driver's license.

If I had a daughter getting ready to be married I would certainly urge her to keep her maiden name.
Old Oct 17, 07, 8:07 am

Yet another reason I'm glad I didn't change my name when I got married

Dawn
Old Oct 17, 07, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Plat,HH Diamond,Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold (Thanks UA!)
It took Mrs trm2 about a half hour and $10 to change her name. Has it gotten that much worse over the last decade or so?
Old Oct 17, 07, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by trm2 View Post
It took Mrs trm2 about a half hour and $10 to change her name. Has it gotten that much worse over the last decade or so?
The problem arises mostly with older women who failed to have their name changed on their Social Security account when they got married, but assumed their married name for such things as DL's, passports, etc.
Old Oct 17, 07, 1:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by trm2 View Post
From personal experience, yes in some instances and definitely not (or better!) in others -- and not just for marriage purposes.

Originally Posted by red456 View Post
The problem arises mostly with older women who failed to have their name changed on their Social Security account when they got married, but assumed their married name for such things as DL's, passports, etc.
The so-called problem can arise for plenty of other reasons, too. I say "so-called" w/o any derisive intent, but rather to convey a YMMV sense of the term. Let me explain.

As someone upthread mentioned, it is sometimes a simple matter of sending a letter to the SSA, a local union secretary, employee retirement trustee, bank or credit union, DMV -- with no or very minimal additional supporting documentation -- explaining that you have (for example):
  • dropped a first or middle name in favor of just one of them;
  • adopted a childhood nickname as part of or in place of the given name(s);
  • decided to use instead the surname of the other natural parent (either son taking mother's or daughter taking father's), a step-parent or guardian's common law spouse, a godparent, a "non-legal" guardian, a grandparent, etc., regardless of whether adoption papers were ever drawn up

A court filing is not always necessary, even for a Passport, depending on the documentation.

For example, the Oregon State Bar says this:

The following information regarding change of name is brought to you as a public service by the lawyers of the State of Oregon. The material presented is intended to alert you to possible legal problems and solutions

How do I change my name?
You can change your name without legal proceedings merely by using the new name. This name change must not be used for fraudulent purposes or it will not be effective. If you are married, you can choose to keep your surname or take your spouse's surname.

Oregon also has a more formal process for changing names for those who prefer proof of their new name. The rest of this topic discusses the formal process. If you are under 18, you may petition for a name change, but written notice must be given to your parents or legal guardian. You may need to have your parents' consent. You also may need to have an adult guardian appointed for the purpose of changing your name. A name change for a minor child does not create an adoption
That all said, a court order could make things easier although it comes with some risk.

The ironic thing is, as jonesing pointed out, sometimes private businesses are more demanding of "proof" than city, county, state or federal agencies.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 17, 07 at 1:24 pm
Old Oct 17, 07, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by klingedp View Post
Yet another reason I'm glad I didn't change my name when I got married

Dawn
Me too! Though I have been wondering if I'll ever run into any trouble needing to prove that I AM married...
Old Oct 17, 07, 9:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by horse glasses View Post
Me too! Though I have been wondering if I'll ever run into any trouble needing to prove that I AM married...
You mean, in the case of no marriage license?
Old Oct 18, 07, 12:00 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by essxjay View Post
You mean, in the case of no marriage license?
That's one of those documents that you never use, until somebody decides they need it 10 years after you get the document.

I haven't needed mine, ever. People just trust you when you claim to be married (and have different last names). I think I know where the license is.
Old Oct 18, 07, 6:33 am
Suspended

None of you have ever tried to get a DL in New Jersey!

This has nothing to do with a married woman, but when I was renewing my DL an older gentleman came in to renew his license. He brought a copy of his birth certificate, issued in Italy, and his social security card. However, the names on each were different, as the social security card had a middle initial.

He was asked why the names were different and he told the clerk that he added his confirmation name after he was confirmed - in Italy over 60 years ago. He was told that in order to renew his license, he had to get a notarized certificate from the church setting forth his confirmation name.

The gentleman left the MV office in tears because he had no idea how to get the certificate, he didn't know the name of the church.

That's how it is in New Jersey.
Old Oct 18, 07, 8:10 am
Hvr

Programs: QC WP/OWE, LTG:
Of course going back to the original title of the thread, "Married women to be barred from airports!"! "well it could turn airports into pick-up joints and make air travel something to look forward to (for us single blokes anyway!).

Something to think about.
Old Oct 18, 07, 10:10 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by doober View Post
None of you have ever tried to get a DL in New Jersey!

This has nothing to do with a married woman, but when I was renewing my DL an older gentleman came in to renew his license.
Renew? Does NJ suddenly think he has to prove he was born to keep his DL?

Perhaps he should legally change his name back.
Old Oct 18, 07, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
The last few years, DL renewal in NJ has been a royal pain. Everyone is subject to this nonsense. It is required even for renewal.
Old Oct 18, 07, 11:33 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
The last few years, DL renewal in NJ has been a royal pain. Everyone is subject to this nonsense. It is required even for renewal.
And it will continue to be, perhaps getting worse, under RealID.

Search this Thread