FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AKL wants to be like LHR
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:44 am
SDF_Traveler

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
While going through AKL, I was super efficient in getting all my things out in bins within seconds. An older looking security agent called up to the person manning the X-Ray and said "John, I wish we were like LHR. Force everyone to one carryon bag".

I was stunned that an efficient and beautiful little airport would want to be like LHR - a dump. If they ever end up following LHR into forcing people to one carry on bag, I will not miss AKL in my travel plans.
Sounds like banter between a couple of screeners looking for less work, nothing more, nothing less.

I've never encountered huge queues at AKL at the main security checkpoint or the transit security checkpoint. Sure, the lines at transit can get a bit longer than what is preferable when two major flights arrive at once such as QF 25/26 and the LAN Chile flight that operates Santiago - AKL - SYD, but even then the lines move along.

I doubt Air NZ would allow this to happen anyway - they'd be at risk of losing transit passengers. AKL is a nice, small and efficient airport. As an added bonus, there is spectacular scenery on approach and take-off.