AKL wants to be like LHR

Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
AKL wants to be like LHR

While going through AKL, I was super efficient in getting all my things out in bins within seconds. An older looking security agent called up to the person manning the X-Ray and said "John, I wish we were like LHR. Force everyone to one carryon bag".

I was stunned that an efficient and beautiful little airport would want to be like LHR - a dump. If they ever end up following LHR into forcing people to one carry on bag, I will not miss AKL in my travel plans.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:07 am

Unlike yourself, myself, and other frequent flyers, I imagine most people reach the screening point very unprepared despite the hundreds of warnings before you get screened (and Auckland makes it very clear). It would probably be very frustrating. I don't think we need to worry about Auckland (or New Zealand) becoming a one cabin bag airport.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:19 am
Suspended

If AKL goes to only one carry-on, obviously the rest of the bags would have to be checked. All that extra weight is going to be hard on the sheep who have to transport out to the aircraft.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:44 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
While going through AKL, I was super efficient in getting all my things out in bins within seconds. An older looking security agent called up to the person manning the X-Ray and said "John, I wish we were like LHR. Force everyone to one carryon bag".

I was stunned that an efficient and beautiful little airport would want to be like LHR - a dump. If they ever end up following LHR into forcing people to one carry on bag, I will not miss AKL in my travel plans.
Sounds like banter between a couple of screeners looking for less work, nothing more, nothing less.

I've never encountered huge queues at AKL at the main security checkpoint or the transit security checkpoint. Sure, the lines at transit can get a bit longer than what is preferable when two major flights arrive at once such as QF 25/26 and the LAN Chile flight that operates Santiago - AKL - SYD, but even then the lines move along.

I doubt Air NZ would allow this to happen anyway - they'd be at risk of losing transit passengers. AKL is a nice, small and efficient airport. As an added bonus, there is spectacular scenery on approach and take-off.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I wouldn't read anything in to it. Unfortunately there are a couple of screeners at AKL with a bit of a bad attitude, but the vast majority are good, friendly and helpful. Actually I find the thing that holds up the queues the most are some overseas visitors taking off shoes and belt expecting those rules apply here too (they don't), and at domestic shoes, belt and liquids baggy (liquids rule only applies for international flights).
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
and at domestic shoes, belt and liquids baggy (liquids rule only applies for international flights).
Wow. Did not know that Domestic does not require the liquids nonsense. If only they can spread such good ideas around the world.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yup - only brought in internationally 31 March 2007 at the insistence of Australia. Prior to that it was only US-bound flights and they had separate secondary screening, but there are many more flights to Australia so once they insisted that was it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.