FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Since when does a 67 minute Dash-8 flight need "crew rest seats"?
Old Oct 5, 2007, 4:54 am
Ken hAAmer

Since when does a 67 minute Dash-8 flight need "crew rest seats"?

I was on my first DH8 flight in ages last night and the plane was almost, but not quite, full. As boarding was almost complete there were a few random single open seats, as well as two pairs of seats -- 2A & 2B, and 4A & 4B. We had to wait a few minutes for 2 passengers arriving on a connecting flight (who happened to be Canada's antithesis of Tommy Douglas -- Don Cherry, and his travelling companion.) They took their seats in 4A & 4B.

At this point I asked the FA if row 2 was empty, and was informed "Yes, but they are blocked as crew rest seats." Huh? Anyway, the FA took her jump seat for take-off, served a round of rice crackers and beverages, collected the resulting garbage, and then plopped down in seat 2B for the remainder of the flight. Who knew?

It wasn't the only surprise of the evening. Along with a young woman seated in seat 10C (actually the middle of 5 seats at the very rear in row 9) were 4 uniformed pilots. In voices loud enough to even overwhelm the PA announcments, over the course of the flight expressed their displeasure leading to disdain for passengers, women, Greeks, Arabs, the "company", company management, and even their union (not to mention selected other but unnamed pilots.)

Now I don't really care what their personal opinions are, but it would seem to me that good judgement would preclude such discussions in public places, particularly in a small, packed airplane. My concern would be if they didn't have the good judgement to at least speak quietly, what kind of judgement would they show in the cockpit, in adverse conditions.

Another surprise was that even though I was holding up my seatbelt during the FA's belt check, to indicate I needed an extension, she completely over looked it. I gather she was otherwise distracted by the "row of sardines" in the row behind me. I had to call her back to get the extension.

Finally, there seemed to be some problem with the overhead vents. At no time during the flight could the air flow from the vents be felt more than about 4"/10cm from the vent.

Used to be that both professionalism and service were a cut above on Jazz. Things seem to have changed.

I'm glad it was a short flight. And I feel sorry for people in Windsor.