Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Since when does a 67 minute Dash-8 flight need "crew rest seats"?

Old Oct 5, 07, 5:54 am
Original Poster

I was on my first DH8 flight in ages last night and the plane was almost, but not quite, full. As boarding was almost complete there were a few random single open seats, as well as two pairs of seats -- 2A & 2B, and 4A & 4B. We had to wait a few minutes for 2 passengers arriving on a connecting flight (who happened to be Canada's antithesis of Tommy Douglas -- Don Cherry, and his travelling companion.) They took their seats in 4A & 4B.

At this point I asked the FA if row 2 was empty, and was informed "Yes, but they are blocked as crew rest seats." Huh? Anyway, the FA took her jump seat for take-off, served a round of rice crackers and beverages, collected the resulting garbage, and then plopped down in seat 2B for the remainder of the flight. Who knew?

It wasn't the only surprise of the evening. Along with a young woman seated in seat 10C (actually the middle of 5 seats at the very rear in row 9) were 4 uniformed pilots. In voices loud enough to even overwhelm the PA announcments, over the course of the flight expressed their displeasure leading to disdain for passengers, women, Greeks, Arabs, the "company", company management, and even their union (not to mention selected other but unnamed pilots.)

Now I don't really care what their personal opinions are, but it would seem to me that good judgement would preclude such discussions in public places, particularly in a small, packed airplane. My concern would be if they didn't have the good judgement to at least speak quietly, what kind of judgement would they show in the cockpit, in adverse conditions.

Another surprise was that even though I was holding up my seatbelt during the FA's belt check, to indicate I needed an extension, she completely over looked it. I gather she was otherwise distracted by the "row of sardines" in the row behind me. I had to call her back to get the extension.

Finally, there seemed to be some problem with the overhead vents. At no time during the flight could the air flow from the vents be felt more than about 4"/10cm from the vent.

Used to be that both professionalism and service were a cut above on Jazz. Things seem to have changed.

I'm glad it was a short flight. And I feel sorry for people in Windsor.
Old Oct 5, 07, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer View Post
And I feel sorry for people in Windsor.
The folks from Sudbury, as well...

The seating issue was discussed here earlier this year:

Curious about Dash-8 FA seating rules
Old Oct 5, 07, 6:13 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
That sounds like one crappy flight. The pilots really should be watching what they say on such a public stage.

Regarding your thread title, I had a chat with an FA about this once. Just because your flight was 67 minutes doesn't mean the FA only started when your flight did. They often stay with their plane for many turnarounds so he/she may have been working most of the day already before your flight thus the need for the rest seat.
Old Oct 5, 07, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CD_YOW View Post
The folks from Sudbury, as well...

I hear all of you.

Ken,some of the planes are being refurbed.(3 to date)
The Dash still rattle noisily(the FA got a round of applause from the passengers on Tuesday when he finally jammed cardboard into the overhead bin area to stop the noise),have lousy or no PA systems that any one can understand what is said..............

The FAs are entitled to crew rest areas.Some,not all,will allow me to move into those seats as they recognize me or my status

Welcome to my world,or over 50% of the a/c I fly on.

Makes a 767-200 look real good,eh?

Off to catch a Dash flight at 9:45
Old Oct 5, 07, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Just because your flight was 67 minutes doesn't mean the FA only started when your flight did.
I considered this, particularly since it was obviously the last flight of the day.

Still, I was surprised. Is there some problem with the "jump seats" -- i.e. are they particularly uncomfortable?
Old Oct 5, 07, 9:30 am

The jumpseats don't look particularly comfortable, and perhaps the FA didn't judge the person in 1C worthy of staring at and/or possibly having to have a conversation with.
Old Oct 5, 07, 9:35 am

I considered this, particularly since it was obviously the last flight of the day.

Still, I was surprised. Is there some problem with the "jump seats" -- i.e. are they particularly uncomfortable?
What route where you flying?
Old Oct 5, 07, 10:30 am

Programs: AC*E50K; AC*MM; EK Gold; SPG Plat
Coming out of YXU I routinely wait to board last and then ask to sit in Row 2. If the flight is full, those seats are sometimes occupied and this week a couple of deadheading FAs took them, but most of the time they have no problem in letting me take the seat. Could be that YXU-YYZ is only a 30 min flight in air, so there isn't much time for them to take any rest time. And I have to say that the FAs I see on that run are are almost always very professional.
Old Oct 5, 07, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just off a Dash 300 flight YSB/YYZ.Seats 4AC were empty on an otherwise sold out flight.Two signs on seat stating seats were inoperable.

Someone tried to move to that seat combo and was promptly told to retake assigned seat.

48 pax on flight kept FA busy on 58 minute air tiome flight.FA did sit down to drink water and eat.FA was there less than 2 minutes when signal from cockpit prompted FA to discontinue eating and move to FA seat at front.

Jeez,all that free space for less than 2 minutes.
Old Oct 5, 07, 11:47 am

..In voices loud enough to even overwhelm the PA announcments, over the course of the flight expressed their displeasure leading to disdain for passengers, women, Greeks, Arabs...

What an intolerant world we live in. This makes me absolutely sick if true.
Old Oct 5, 07, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by lucidguy View Post
What an intolerant world we live in. This makes me absolutely sick if true.
He could always have reported them. It wouldn't be hard for AC to figure out who they were.
Old Oct 5, 07, 9:29 pm

Since the union said so.
Old Oct 5, 07, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
I see the AC crew rest in use often on the AC flights from BDL to YYZ on the Dash-8.

Interestingly enough, the airport just south of BDL, HVN, is only serviced by 6 flights per day, all 6 flights are on US Dash-8s to PHL. They do not have a crew rest in place for the flights.

My problem is many of my TATL flights are via PHL or YYZ, so I seem to always end up on a Dash-8 before finding myself on a 767........regardless of carrier....hmmmmmmm
Old Oct 6, 07, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Its probably a UNION rule... so AC will never get those seats back. It just like the 777 AC only has 41 J seats one is just in case the Pilots want a seat in the passenger area.
probably the same in 767's
Old Oct 6, 07, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by why fly View Post
Its probably a UNION rule... so AC will never get those seats back.
It's not a 'union rule' but rather a freely negotiated benefit under the Teamster / Jazz agreement that can be bargained out just like many, many other so-called 'entitlements have been bargained out of various AC agreements over the years (including wage and benefit concessions).

Unbelievable!

Search this Thread