FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Safety in lack of Numbers - traveling solo in the Mideast?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 1:31 pm
travelmad478

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Just wondering: does it help to wear a wedding band?
No. If your husband (real or pretend) is not physically with you while you're out and about, you are just as subject to approaches by men as if you had no wedding ring. (Have you ever traveled in Italy? Same thing!) Actually, I suspect it would be even worse to pretend to be married, because then you get a hassle from men (and women) who are horrified that your husband would let you travel alone.

I just say I'm not married and have no kids, which is the truth, and leave it at that. I get a lot of sorrowful and pitying looks and comments, but at least I don't get berated for abandoning my family to gallivant around by myself.

To the OP, I have traveled solo in all the countries you mention except for Syria. Jordanian men in particular were very friendly and pleasant (except for getting endless solicitations from the horseback ride and donkey cart guys in Petra) and I felt very safe. Beirut, at least, is so cosmopolitan that a woman traveling solo does not get a second glance--same goes for Istanbul and most of the rest of Turkey. I even had a very quiet time wandering around Cairo by myself, with the exception of the Pyramids (same sort of annoying touts as in Petra). I think dressing modestly and being respectful goes a very long way. Leave the tank tops at home, and you will be fine.