FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US seat sale to LHR
View Single Post
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:04 am
yyzjim

Programs: Aeroplan Elite SPG Gold
ITA Glitch?

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Quite often the fares ex-USA are cheaper than ex-Canada.
I guess I didn't expect them to be that much cheaper. What I don't understand is no matter what the actual price is, why doesn't ITA see the regular base pricing as the round trip price instead of one-way? Travelocity and Expedia show the ITA price, which as I said originally is roughly double the base fare on AC.com. Why would anyone buy a ticket from Travelocity or Expedia when they can get a ticket for roughly half the price before taxes and surcharges from AC.com with regular base pricing?

One example of what I am seeing (in USD): Nov 13-20 DTW-LHR AC.com $517.54 (all in) and the cheapest on Travelocity on any airline for the same dates is $685.20 (all in). Not a huge difference on this one example, its roughly half of the base fare, but why doesn't the cheaper AC.com fare show up on Travelocity? Is this a different fare basis? Am I doing something wrong that is preventing Travelocity from showing all the fares?

Do other airlines do this? How do you know when they are offering these fares if ITA software can't find them? Do I need to do some more reading on how to use ITA? Is this price difference simply because the AC.com flights are in a different fare class than the ones quoted on ITA? Does ITA quote all available fares by default, or is there a setting that I don't know about?

I checked all kinds of dates for DTW-LHR and AC seems much cheaper even in September. When I see $850 on ITA and $650 on AC.com using the same dates, (I believe it includes all fees, surcharges, etc so it is an apples to apples comparison) am I seeing a difference in the fare basis or is this something to do with regular base pricing?

I do apologize if these are stupid questions, I am trying to learn as much as I can to maximize the quality and quantity of my air travel. If someone could take a few minutes to enlighten me by answering any or all of my questions, It would really be appreciated.