FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Airlines' Secret Million-Mile Awards- Where is NW ??
Old Jul 31, 2007, 5:28 pm
avidflyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Thanks for personally following up on this issue, scoop.

I've had the privilege to fly non-revenue a few times in my life. As such, a non-revenue passenger only becomes eligible for a seat after all revenue passengers have been assigned their seats and then, if there are seats available, they can be distributed among the non-revenue passengers based on a proprietary formula amongst themselves.

Perhaps an adaptation of that could be implemented, sort of like an unofficial fourth tier of elite status, like a "retired elite". After all Plats, Golds, Silvers, and Plats, Golds, Silvers on award tickets are upgraded, then perhaps the retired elites could be upgraded. It would still be something for the former high-mileage fliers and it wouldn't really hurt the bottom line of NW all that much. Although, admittedly, it may slightly reduce the availability of first class seats for current NW employees trying to non-rev up there...
Thanks Scoop. I think we all understand the business plan and the idea of rewarding the "now" pax and frankly, this approach is why we all enjoy a great UG success rate. I think, however, that given how good the program is to the current FF there is some room for some "lifetime" award structure. Nobody says it has to be at 1MM, it could be at 3 or 4MM. The "lifetime status" does not need to be Plat either and, in-fact; I would not want that much dilution to the program myself. I do think this will become a demographic issue as some high flyers approach retirement though and **some** combination of very high EQM’s and a less-than-Plat LT status could do the trick. Something like 3MM gets you LT Silver. As SchmutzigMSP points out, Silver is more valuable on NW than on any other AL so from a Lifetime award standpoint it would be pretty “Exciting” to achieve. A very high EQM requirement would then temper the dilution to the program and I think NW could then retain the folks in this situation. Just my 2 cents and I do appreciate the interaction you give us here but this is one to think about once things get stable. In the mean time, all I want is for my 2 757 segments to NOT cancel next week