FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Verizon FIOS TV
Thread: Verizon FIOS TV
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2007, 6:57 am
SpaceBass

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
I also bit the bullet and got FiOS TV.
Since I already had a business (static IP as they say) internet connection, I had to have a second run of fiber and second "optical terminal" installed (apparently for verizon the infinite bandwidth of fiber is not yet a reality)...
I switched from DirecTV ...this is how loyal I am...I cannot get any of the 3 birds from my yard so I have TWO dishes both outside of my property....one is about 150 feet down my alley the other is in a neighbors yard...I love TiVo- the interface specifically- and when DirecTV did the $40 TiVos I nabbed one for every TV in the house....just saying, I was obsessed.

In the last year, we moved to using Mac Mini's on each TV ... no a solution I'll detail here...but DirecTV starting being less important. I'm also watching a lot less TV personally.

FiOS is about $89 for all the cable channels, all their HD and all the premium movie channels plus 3 DVRs... it was apparently a deal they had, but I've been promised that it will be for as long as I have service (we'll see). So far I'm really happy. The picture quality on HD is as good as over the air (by my calculations they are broadcasting at about 18mbs, just shy of the uncompressed 19.2 HD standard). The SD channels are comparable to DirecTV. On Demand sucks...its like streaming video over the internet in 1998...or worse.

The DVR itself is fine...its no TiVo so what else is there to say? There are two big features lacking, first there is no page up/down button on the remote (and I've searched for codes online...no dice). The real hole is that there is not a tuner button. So this thing has two tuners, but there is no way to swap between them...to, say, have one show on pause while recording and then flip to the other tuner to watch another show. Other than that, "it is what it it is"... I was a little disappointed that, while enabled, the FireWire is very limited. My goal for a while as been to build a MythTV box, but with the encryption that cable companies are using, its just not doable.