FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade to C / TG experience
View Single Post
Old Feb 9, 2004, 3:37 pm
france usa

Upgrade to C / TG experience

I just flew back BKK-CDG on a saturday. As a BD*G, thought I'd get a nice seat or at last i'd be UG (you never know...). Sat nights, the flight seemed to be full (VERY crowded in the Y check-in section), so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

When I kindly asked upon check-in in BKK whether I could get an UG , I was instantly told the C cabin was full. THen I asked if I could maybe "pay for it", and after a pause, was told again the C cabin was full. But once on board, a few mn before take off, i saw half-dozen passengers coming down from upper deck to get seats on the lower level. I didn't investigate any further, but it seemed to me those passengers were coming down for more space - ie., seats were empty. Do you think the C cabin was really full ? (all right, i also heard the C cabin was awful, but always better than Y on a 12 hour flight isn't it ? ).

Also, I'll be flying again on the same route in a few days, but on afternoon flights each way. What would you recommend to do if I want to get exit rows - shall I come really early, and if so, how many hours in advance in CDG and BKK ? Thanks for any advice. Are those afternoon flights usually full ?

Other than that, service was just OK, I hadn't flown on TG for ten years and I think it was not impressive at all. Most FA seem to be tired of working.

And in CDG, as I was travelling with a friend (same booking), I tried to check-in at *G counter with him, but was told by the handling agent that she had had clear instructions "not to let companion check-in at *G counter", and she asked my fellow traveller to go and check-in with coach passengers - although she'd let me in !!! (we eventually got him in with a smile and a short talk) .

Also, the attitude of the Air France supervisor was not really nice (too much attitude, if you ask me), nor was the attitude of the 2 TG rep. who were standing near the *G counter (not even a smile at passengers, not even hello, just standing). The only nice TG person I talked to was a guy on the phone at CDG , who put an efficient request in my booking stating I wanted an exit row seat if available.

Another point - I guess there are too many *G pax so the FA don't even bother welcoming you on board. Whenever I fly on CX, be it Y or C, and as a OW Emerald on BA, the CSD always comes to me and welcomes me and wishes me a nice flight bla bla bla. Nothing much really, but a nice recognition of the business I put in the alliance (I personnaly pay all my tickets).

Globally, a not-too-nice experience flying TG out of CDG. Well, there's always those cheap fares and at least the flights are direct ...

Am I the only one to be disappointed by that airline ?