FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guess what I found on my plane today
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:49 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by N830MH
No kidding at all. It is not an threat. When you seen the boxcutter then you need to do reports with your F/A. I think you should contract with TSA need searching inside the aircraft. They need swapping out from airplanes. I think Local authority need searching inside the aircraft. I think UA fault did left over by boxcutter onboard entire aircraft. It shouldn't never do that again when the maintenance man was not allowed bring any kind of weapons. It is their own responsibility while they are working inside the aircraft.
Geez, I guess you're both serious

When I see a boxcutter, I see a tool. When I see a dangerous individual holding a box cutter, then I see a problem. Getting the TSA involved will only delay the flight, put extensive administrative burdens on everyone, potentially get one placed on a watch list and just do no good at all. If contacting the crew or TSA with a find like that only resulted in a quick 'thanks' and disposal of the item without any other panic stricken reactions, then I might actually be inclined to turn it over to someone - but not under present conditions, no way.

If I saw a boxcutter or knife onboard, what would I do? If it was in my seat pocket, I would ignore it - no one is going to get their hands on it if I'm sitting there. If it's in an overhead or other place, I'm more likely to just carefully walk it into the lavatory sight unseen and drop it into the garbage - calling attention to it is just going make problems for everyone. If I can't get it into the trash without being seen, I would put my bag over it, ignore it and just keep its existence in mind in case I see someone start rummaging through that overhead in flight - which would be the legitimate key indicator that something is up and it's time to call attention to the situation. After the flight, I can walk it off and drop it in the trash on the way out. Voila - problem solved.

Boxcutters are just not really legitimate threats anymore - if someone walks up to a crew member holding a boxcutter or small knife, they're more likely than not going to end up sprawled on the floor. I am much more concerned about someone (using insider access) storing a gun or explosive device in a hidden place than I am a small cutting instrument.