Wiki Posts
Search

Guess what I found on my plane today

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Guess what I found on my plane today

As I was walking to my seat on flight 7796 from LGA to IAD I found a box cutter in the overhead bin. There were probably a dozen people that passed this before I saw it. Since the bins are so low on the RJ, it was tough to miss. When I saw it, I made sure that others around me heard it so that I would not be accused of bringing it on the plane. I rang the flight attendant call button and when she came back, I gave it to her. She said that it must of been left on the plane by maintance. The guy next to me said that they thought there is a tool count of maintance staff when they leave the plane.

So, UA maintance leaves a box cutter in an empty overhead bin, but I can't bring a 4 ounce bottle of saline solution on the plane.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm surprised it didn't trigger a bigger security response, but it was smart of you to let everyone know that you had nothing to do with it aside from finding it. These days, you can't be too careful.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P; Marriott Gold; Avis First
Was it a box cutter, like this? http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...en-US:official

Or a utility knife w/ replaceable blades, like this?
http://images.oldhouseweb.com/storie...093/knife1.jpg

I could definitely see why maintenance would use a utility knife in their daily work (e.g. fixing upholstery), but a box cutter would be pretty worthless for maintenance work.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:39 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
I applaud the crew for not making a big deal out of it. ^
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by markoh
Was it a box cutter, like this? http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...en-US:official

Or a utility knife w/ replaceable blades, like this?
http://images.oldhouseweb.com/storie...093/knife1.jpg

I could definitely see why maintenance would use a utility knife in their daily work (e.g. fixing upholstery), but a box cutter would be pretty worthless for maintenance work.

utility knife
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P; Marriott Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by cpx
I applaud the crew for not making a big deal out of it. ^
^^for common sense!
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I am going to move this to the Travel Safety/Security forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
Please don't blame this on UA. This is a UA Express problem. But no big deal, in any event.

Glad you didn't get dragged into the whole hysterical overreaction.

Best regards,
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA, BA, CO, NW, DL
Based on the title of your post, I was going to guess mf snakes!
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Are you sure this wasn't a terrorist attempt?? Did you contact the nearest available TSA agent?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
Are you sure this wasn't a terrorist attempt?? Did you contact the nearest available TSA agent?
You're kidding right? The post is in jest?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:38 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed

Last edited by RoyalFlush; Apr 4, 2009 at 2:19 pm
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by bocastephen
You're kidding right? The post is in jest?
No kidding at all. It is not an threat. When you seen the boxcutter then you need to do reports with your F/A. I think you should contract with TSA need searching inside the aircraft. They need swapping out from airplanes. I think Local authority need searching inside the aircraft. I think UA fault did left over by boxcutter onboard entire aircraft. It shouldn't never do that again when the maintenance man was not allowed bring any kind of weapons. It is their own responsibility while they are working inside the aircraft.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by dlwalt
As I was walking to my seat on flight 7796 from LGA to IAD I found a box cutter in the overhead bin. There were probably a dozen people that passed this before I saw it. Since the bins are so low on the RJ, it was tough to miss. When I saw it, I made sure that others around me heard it so that I would not be accused of bringing it on the plane. I rang the flight attendant call button and when she came back, I gave it to her. She said that it must of been left on the plane by maintance. The guy next to me said that they thought there is a tool count of maintance staff when they leave the plane.

So, UA maintance leaves a box cutter in an empty overhead bin, but I can't bring a 4 ounce bottle of saline solution on the plane.
Geez, poor box cutters! They are still associated with the 9/11 attack though they had no part in it!
Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:30 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
i use a box cutter at work every day, am i a terrorist? it's just a box cutter, after 9/11 we can safely assume that the terrorists won't try that method of hijacking again. kudos to the crew for not turning it into a frenzied situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.