FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX Bonus Points/Offers
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:49 pm
CIT85

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jmsfla2002
does SPG run these AmEx sign-up bonuses often? do they run bonuses tied to spending (which are not hotel stays) often? i ask because i currently have a regular AmEx MR card and the new changes are i want to get rid of MR but want to maintain an AmEx credit card because it was my first credit card.

i don't travel that much because of budgetary constraints but i want to be able to travel more (rarely if ever will travel for work).

i thought about getting a HH AmEx would be the way to go since it earns 5 HH points/$1 on everyday purchases that consitute the bulk of my credit card spending. but i'm hesitant to start a relationship with HH after the announcement of the Blackstone offer. i already have a relationship with SPG but without more stays or stays at properties w/ hefty bonuses, it'll take me forever to accumulate points based on my credit card spending.
There is a sing up bonus all the time. But, the bonus can be as low as 6,000 points and that's it. The current promotion is about as good as it has ever been. You can sign up for a new SPG AMEX card and get the 10,000 points bonus, plus the potential of another 15,000 points IF you spend $15,000 over the next year.

You can keep your AMEX MR card. It might be a good idea since old cards do not impact credit ratings. You can have as many different AMEX acards as you want. I have a corporate AMEX, SPG AMEX and HH AMEX. I keep the HH AMEX because there is no annual fee, but I use my SPG AMEX exclusively where AMEX is accepted. Recent changes to HH program is not considered to be bad for Diamond members.