FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US "penalty" for travel to Cuba ?
View Single Post
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:57 pm
You want to go where?

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
forgive my ignorance here. I'm a US citizen, so I know I'm technically prohibited from visiting Cuba. I know I can get there from other countries (Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica). Does Cuba allow entry to US citizens traveling on vacation ? Upon returning to US, is this actually a big deal with US Customs/Immigration ? I'm fine with the add'l search (I buy my Cuban cigars in Spain), but is this something the US DHS/ICE would prosecute ? Your experiences ?

Just wondering...
To be clear, the Cuban Assets Control Regulations (under the Trading with the Enemy Act) indicates that you are not legally allowed to spend any money in Cuba or purchase anything (other than a few specific items) from Cuba. It is very unlikely that you will be able to travel to Cuba without violating the law unless you get a specific license to travel there (journalism, religious missions, humanitarian missions, etc.). The source of the money is irrelevant if you are a U.S. citizen.

It is also illegal for you to purchase Cuban cigars, even if you buy them in Spain, Canada or anywhere else. It is the source of the product, not where you purchase it that matters.

Please note that enforcement of the law is another matter about which others can share their experience.