FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MVD / Montevideo, Uruguay AA Flights and Contract Lounge Access (consolidated)
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:13 am
BenjaminNYC
Suspended

Interesting report!

Originally Posted by prspad
Carrasco Airport in MVD is small, indeed, and there is only 1 covered bridge available which covers gates 1 and 2. Since the LAN flight from Santiago usually arrives first, it gets the gate! The daily IBERIA flight from Madrid, AA's flight and a few other UA, GOL, COPA and PLUNA flights that arrive in mid-morning are served by mobile stairs and pax are bused to Immigrations/Customs.
Hrm.... surprised IB thinks MVD is worth its own flight from MAD in addition to EZE.

AA's food service in Bus. Class on the MVD-MIA return was improved over a flight I took a few months ago EZE-MIA... The usual Warm Mixed Nuts were augmented by a Marinated Cheese Antipasto. American's wines have been improved as well... I enjoyed a Clos Du Val Napa Cabernet and my spouse a decent Luigi Bosca Lujan de Cuyo Malbec. Leek Soup was accompanied by Gourmet Breads served with that great Castello Monte Vibiano Olive Oil that I've been seeing served in F/C on AA's flights lately! Entree choice was Chateaubriand with a Red Onion Wine Sauce, Grilled Salmon with Capers and Lemon Butter Sauce or Parmesan Crusted Chicken. Salad was Mixed Greens, Cucumbers and Tomatoes, again served with Monte Vibiano Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar, if desired. Mixed Vegetables and Potato Edges were oven roasted w/Thyme. If you preferred lighter fare, you could opt for Soup and Salad. Deserts were Gorgonzola and Camembert Cheeses served with Dried and Fresh Fruits and Cashews, AA's Sundae's (including Dulce de Leche topping) or a Grand Marnier Fruit Salad presented with Cigale Lemon Sorbet. Cigale is a chain of Italian-style ice cream shops throughout Montevideo, Colonia and Punte del Este. Since the Uruguayan population is about 44% of Italian descent, they DO do ice creams well! Prior to landing in MIA a standard breakfast was served. As usual, AA's coffee was substandard, in my opinion and not up to their improved foodservice! UA's coffee is far better!
Sounds pretty impressive for a US carrier's J class.

As an aside, as our flight crossed over Cuban airspace for about 20 minutes at about 4:00 AM I looked out the window to see what appeared to be a Cuban MiG-29 Fulcrum on the horizon in the distance pacing our flight. It's not unusual for a Country's Air Forces to do so as part of their training and procedures.
WHOA!

a stay in a wonderful boutique hotel with a spouse that pushes all the right buttons!