FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Goodby Amex Gold - 32+ years
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:23 am
kuroneko

Originally Posted by SportsTech

Just curious...How many of you are still paying Amex for a card that isn't worth it? Or did I miss something that could have made this card worth the annual fee?
I've had an 11-year relationship with Amex, with about five years with the Plat card. At first I had the corporate card because it was a requirement per the travel policy of the company I worked for. Later, I switched to Plat on my own. As much as I hate to admit it, and with as many problems as I've had in the past with PTS and Concierge, I have to say that it is still worth it, even at the $450 price tag. If you actually use the benefits of plat, you definitely get back the 450 investment.

I regularly use concierge (I don't expect miracles, but they have saved me time and been helpful when I'm traveling and don't have ready access to the internet), FHR (two or three uses of this benefit easily make up for the $450 annual fee) and it is the card of choice when I am charging high-value items (purchase protection). Global Assist and related services are also nice to have the card as an "insurance policy" while traveling.

As much as I hate to admit it, Amex has me hooked.