Goodby Amex Gold - 32+ years

Old Mar 17, 2007, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Goodby Amex Gold - 32+ years

This was my first-ever credit card, and I've been hanging on to it for sentimental reasons (I haven't even used it since I got my SPG Amex card a year ago, courtesy of all the FT wisdom). Saw the $150 renewal charge hit the account today and said, "Whoa! Enough Already!" so called Amex and cancelled (after liiquidating the few MR points left in the account). The MR card is too expensive, and the targeted promos too targeted, to be worth anywhere near a buck and a half. Compared to all the other affinity cards out there, this one is definitely showing its age!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:00 pm

There's also a $125 gold card.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$110 green
$130 / $150 gold
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
But there's also a $30 SPG card that came with a free night in a Cat 6 hotel (I got in on the tail end of the 20K offer last year), and a Hilton Amex that costs nothing. And both of them say "Member since 74" - well, the SPG one used to, and I could have the new Red one fixed so it's correct...nah, too much effort for no return. Now, if they'd give me points to exchange the wrong card for one with the right date on it...

Just curious...How many of you are still paying Amex for a card that isn't worth it? Or did I miss something that could have made this card worth the annual fee?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
$110 green
$130 / $150 gold
Are these new prices? According to the website, I get these prices for the charge cards:

Green (preferred rewards): $95
Gold (preferred rewards): $125
Gold (rewards plus): $150
Platinum: $450
One: $35 after first year

And to answer the second question, I'm about to use my first free companion coach ticket, so that pays the annual fee for me.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thank you for correcting me pointjunkie ^ i did not realize the green and gold changed along with plat and cent

i have plat as well, looking forward to cent when my spending is there.

my point being that i am fine with current fees.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 20, 2007 at 7:25 am
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

I'd look forward to being able to spend $250K for a Cent card too In which case, I'd still prefer to pay $0 for a credit card...thanks for the education, FT!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:41 pm

How about this gimmick:
Received an offer for a pre-Approved Gold Preferred Rewards Card (I already have a regular card) - with a Fee Free first year. This card has a normal $125/year fee. When I filled in the short formed application, I noticed at the bottom that the Fee was $150/year. What they did was waive the 1st year fee, but added $25 to each year thereafter. I was so disturbed that I discontinued accepting the offer. This and other recent actions have me believing that American Express is quickly loosing it's classy luster and actually believes their name alone is worth paying for.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

welcome to FT perseus11

fortunately, that is not correct, so you can still get that card if you want ^

Preferred Rewards Green Card = $95 + $30 for 5 additional = $125
http://www201.americanexpress.com/ap...0&afflSID=null

Preferred Rewards Gold Card = $125 + $35 for 5 additional = $160

Rewards Plus Gold Card = $150 + $0 for 5 additional >

Platinum Card = $450 + $175 for 3 add. Plat / $45 5 add. Gold

Centurion Card = $5000 initiation + $2500 + $1500 for 1 add. Cent
(and presumably same $175 / $45 for Plat / Gold)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 11, 2007 at 1:29 pm
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by SportsTech

Just curious...How many of you are still paying Amex for a card that isn't worth it? Or did I miss something that could have made this card worth the annual fee?
I've had an 11-year relationship with Amex, with about five years with the Plat card. At first I had the corporate card because it was a requirement per the travel policy of the company I worked for. Later, I switched to Plat on my own. As much as I hate to admit it, and with as many problems as I've had in the past with PTS and Concierge, I have to say that it is still worth it, even at the $450 price tag. If you actually use the benefits of plat, you definitely get back the 450 investment.

I regularly use concierge (I don't expect miracles, but they have saved me time and been helpful when I'm traveling and don't have ready access to the internet), FHR (two or three uses of this benefit easily make up for the $450 annual fee) and it is the card of choice when I am charging high-value items (purchase protection). Global Assist and related services are also nice to have the card as an "insurance policy" while traveling.

As much as I hate to admit it, Amex has me hooked.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i dont hate to admit it at all, plat and cent are currently great for me personally.

different people value different things, and assign different $ values to them.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
What Kuroneko Said. I'll be using DL lounge access and FHR on an upcoming business trip soon, for example.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i hear CO lounges have free internet, so im going to start flying them instead of DL (which have tmobile )
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Nah, T-Mobile is ubiquitous here in the states- they have Starbucks (which is on every 4th street corner it seems here in SoCal), Hyatt, Borders, FedEx/Kinkos (and some other chain I can't think of right now) as partners. Hell, even T-Mobile Retail (Cellphone) stores have it- I've been known to park outside one to check E-mail.

I can spend whole days outside my office space getting real billable work done (I have a small software business) thanks to their overwhelming presence.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

personally, if i was going to pay for wireless internet, i would get nationwide coverage, which is the same price as tmobile charges for hotspot use.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 20, 2007 at 6:57 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.