FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Theft: items stolen from AA checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:38 am
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
CC Fraud Alert!

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Sorry for your loss. All of the gas stations we use now require that you enter your zip code when using a credit card to buy gas. Was your zip code in the wallet? If not, was it on your baggage tag?
Not in my case. I don't recall entering my zip at any gas pump in AUS. Zip code is required for all my Walmart trips though.
Originally Posted by andrzej
About a year ago,... It was a shock to me that my VISA (still in my possesion) was used the evening before...
I immidiately got on the horn to the security dept of the issuing bank... Either somebody had my CC card information, sold by a waiter or hotel/store clerk and made a card or they were ordering on line...
That's just one possible scenario. Thanks to the technology, nowadays it's very easy to become a victim to the cc fraud and identity threft. It doesn't matter whether your card is still in your posession. The "cyberthieves" or hackers can effectively "produce" valid cc accounts numbers and use them for online purchases. You will be surprised to learn how easily those attempted charges will go through without matching names, addresses..etc.

It happened to me once. My issuing bank spotted that strange online purchase and reversed the charge. My card was used to purchase a $25 pre-paid phone card online. I didn't find out until days later when I was doing my routine creditcard online monitoring. Before this happened, I used to monitor my cc transactions every 2-3 week, if not monthly. No I do my routine monitoring a couple of time per week, if not daily. Even though what happened to andrzej or me were different from OP(we didn't literrally lose our cards), it is wizer to take a more proactive approach to protect ourselves in this cyberworld.

Moniter your cc transactions and credit report regularly and frequently, if you don't want to be a victim.

Last edited by lin821; Mar 12, 2007 at 2:17 am