FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Angry tourists break mugger's neck
View Single Post
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:34 pm
caj11

I gotta know...where does Sjoerd stand on the issue of Bernie Goetz? Sjoerd is probably one of those people who think ax-murderers should get HBO in prison.

I also think that dhuey is actually with most of us here - he does not believe anyone is guilty of murder or manslaughter or anything - he just doesn't believe the retired marine should have done what he did.

While I wouldn't have handled the situation the way the tourists did, and would probably be apt to just hand over my money, I don't consider the retired marine to be guilty of anything. It was self-defense. Also, it is unlikely any jury would convict him of murder or manslaughter - in Costa Rica OR the USA. The tourist industry may have been something of a factor in charges not being pressed against the guy (probably that's why he was cleared the same day), but the fact remains he acted in self-defense. While I don't believe people should be vigilantes against crime, I also don't shed any tears over violent career criminals being killed when they are attempting yet another violent crime. Something like this was bound to happen to Wagner Segura sooner or later.

It is not smart to fight with someone who has a gun pointed at you, but remember, none of us were actually there. Things probably happened very quickly and the retired marine reacted in the heat of the moment.