FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter Fairbanks - Aurora Borealis Quest
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:11 pm
runarut

Programs: Marriott, AA EXP, United, Alaska, AirTran
Winter Fairbanks - Aurora Borealis Quest

After doing some research on the Aurora Borealis, my wife discovered that Fairbanks is one of the best places to view this phenomenon. However, best viewing is (if I remember correctly), November, February, and March.

When it is cold. Real cold.

Has anyone been to Fairbanks in the winter to view the Aurora Borealis? Are there good viewing areas? How do you deal with the cold temperatures?

Now, don't laugh. I've become acclimated to San Antonio weather. Our idea of cold is 50 degrees. The coldest it has been since I moved here is 25 degrees. I noticed that Fairbanks was in the -30's. That might have been the high. I can't even imagine.

What do you wear when you want to be outside watching the slow magical ribbon dance of light across the horizon during the long cold night? Do you have to take special precautions or steps to take outside (digital) pictures in temperatures like this?

The other option would be to view from inside somewhere. I can't imagine there are indoor viewing galleries for tenderfoots such as us. Is it possible? Is there an entrepreneur who provides first class accommodations for wimps?

It has been almost 30 years since I saw the Aurora Borealis for the first and last time from a mountaintop in the Washington Cascades. It was late summer and absolutely magical. I need another fix.

Help?