FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Working with FB to improve FB, Ideas?
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:04 am
Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM

Agree with much of the above list, especially replacing the dismal website, perhaps just buying nwa.com in its place. It is incredible that it is impossible on the KLM website to book KLM metal to major destinations in North America (only NW flights offered) while on nwa.com the KL flights are bookable.

Would also add the following:

1. Elimination of extortionary fees, taxes & surcharges relating to award tickets.

2. Elimination of 25% earning classes altogether for tickets bought directly (and thus purposefully and loyally) from AF KL on their website(s).

3. Real, effective and consistent operational implementation of priority boarding processes

4. More differentiation and benefits for Platinum Elite, including:
- Access to a separate Royal Wing / First Class lounge
- Award booking in C from regular inventory
- Priority award booking and upgrades to C from any booking class
- Consistent top priority handling on transatlantic op op upgrades
- Extra luggage allowance e.g. between Europe & States
- 24 hour Elite reservations and help desk
- Exclusive elite FF desk
- 200% business class class of service bonus
- Platinum bonus of 125% calculated on top of both base miles and class of service bonus
- No expiring of miles

All of the above should be familiar to KLM as these were standard benefits offered successfully for years under Flying Dutchman.

In general, the current Flying Blue program has few incentives for reaching Platinum Elite as there are so few benefits above Gold. This costs AF KL revenues and encourages brand promiscuity as smart frequent flyers change to other alliances to build status as soon as they have FB Gold earned.

An artfully designed frequent flyer program would serve to recognize and reward the best customers and in effect, lock them into the loyalty program with the thought "no matter what I will definitely fly AF KL because they make my travel experience fast, cheap, easy & comfortable and not replicatable by the competition while providing me with valuable, longer term rewards for my ongoing loyalty."

Instead Flying Blue gives one the impression to be deailing with a shady, not terribly competent used car salesman or kitchen contractor who tries to nickle and dime you to death all the while making lame excuses for the poor service.