Working with FB to improve FB, Ideas?

Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Lightbulb Working with FB to improve FB, Ideas?

Does anyone have a contact at a reasonable management level within AF/KL (FB)?

Obviously if we ask for automatic free upgrades on long hauls, it's pointless, however, if we ask for improvements that cost little or nothing to the airline but improve service quality perhaps they will listen? My biggest "annoyances" are:

1. The KL website
a.) Option to allow you to select minimum 100% miles.
b.) flight duration and aircraft type
c.) seat selector with elite "preferred" section. (i'm tired of middle seats in economy!!)
d.) Access on the websites (AF/KL) to each others flights (I had to get a travel agent to get me AF outbound, KL inbound as this provided the optimum departure times)

2. Other Issues
d.) E-tickets have Elite level printed on them (like NWA or CO)
e.) 150% miles for full economy fares (on KL)
f.) Elite cards to arrive in a timely manner....

I'm sure others have more/better ideas?

Idea that won't make the cut:

Hardship miles allowance for transitting through CDG !!!

Anyway, any thoughts?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I asked gman67 to start a new thread with this excellent post that was buried in another thread. Can we please use this one to have a civil discussion of low-cost/low-impact ways to improve FB? I'd like to see us put together a really comprehensive list of problems and solutions and send it off to them.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:37 pm

Programs: FB
I would love to see the multiple destination option on all websites! It is possible on KLM Germany but not on AF Germany but it's possible on AF Netherlands

I would like to be able to read the fare rules of my trip before booking (on all websites)!

The access on each others flights is also desireable!

Full implementation of e-tickets on all routes including Codeshares!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
For KLM flying blue in order of importance:
1) An option to select the cheapest 100% miles fare and ignore the 25% ones
2) Move the ES curtain back a row or two and give elites flying economy the option to select a seat in this zone
3) Automatic flight delay compensation miles
4) Priority boarding in AMS that doesn't look like you're just cutting the queue

Don't fly AF enough to consider what's improvements they could make.

Non flying blue related, I'd like it if AF and KLM websites could offer combined itineraries but I think that'd have to wait until Amadeus is implemented at KLM?
Ideally I'd like an option to select the airlines I'd like to show up in the search so if I didn't want AF to show up then it wouldn't. It'd be good to have a skyteam wide booking engine too.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:09 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Easy booking of 100% mileage earning classes has to be the most important one.

I'd like to see FB partner miles that are operated by non-Skyteam operators also count towards your level if that route is not served by AFKL.

What about expanding the level miles earning FB Amex to more countries?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, TK Miles&Smiles Elite
well, for me the most urgent thing seems to be a complete relaunch of the AF booking engine.... I'd like to have the opportunity to book multi-city flights, access my reservations by reservation code/change them/select or change seats online, select a certain fare class, etc.... basically everything that DL has... ^ (imo they just could license DL's engine )

apart from that: what's not been mentioned is the pain it takes to get on a seat reserved for elites (as an elite, of course) when flying AF on a DL itinerary.... it takes you to call at least two call centers - DL's for setting that seat on request and then AF's to convince them that they are able to confirm that request.... this could be made a lot easier....
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:04 am

Agree with much of the above list, especially replacing the dismal website, perhaps just buying nwa.com in its place. It is incredible that it is impossible on the KLM website to book KLM metal to major destinations in North America (only NW flights offered) while on nwa.com the KL flights are bookable.

Would also add the following:

1. Elimination of extortionary fees, taxes & surcharges relating to award tickets.

2. Elimination of 25% earning classes altogether for tickets bought directly (and thus purposefully and loyally) from AF KL on their website(s).

3. Real, effective and consistent operational implementation of priority boarding processes

4. More differentiation and benefits for Platinum Elite, including:
- Access to a separate Royal Wing / First Class lounge
- Award booking in C from regular inventory
- Priority award booking and upgrades to C from any booking class
- Consistent top priority handling on transatlantic op op upgrades
- Extra luggage allowance e.g. between Europe & States
- 24 hour Elite reservations and help desk
- Exclusive elite FF desk
- 200% business class class of service bonus
- Platinum bonus of 125% calculated on top of both base miles and class of service bonus
- No expiring of miles

All of the above should be familiar to KLM as these were standard benefits offered successfully for years under Flying Dutchman.

In general, the current Flying Blue program has few incentives for reaching Platinum Elite as there are so few benefits above Gold. This costs AF KL revenues and encourages brand promiscuity as smart frequent flyers change to other alliances to build status as soon as they have FB Gold earned.

An artfully designed frequent flyer program would serve to recognize and reward the best customers and in effect, lock them into the loyalty program with the thought "no matter what I will definitely fly AF KL because they make my travel experience fast, cheap, easy & comfortable and not replicatable by the competition while providing me with valuable, longer term rewards for my ongoing loyalty."

Instead Flying Blue gives one the impression to be deailing with a shady, not terribly competent used car salesman or kitchen contractor who tries to nickle and dime you to death all the while making lame excuses for the poor service.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
- Award booking in C from regular inventory
But isn't that already the case - using "open miles"? If you meant that all award inventory in C should come from regular inventory - there isn't an FF program that does that, AFAIK.

As well the '100% earning on all fares' would be an excellent improvement, but lots of competing programs have the same rules. Perhaps improving* it to 50% would be more achievable.

* notice the careful avoidance of the 'enhancement' word
Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:43 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Customer recognition, customer recognition and customer recognition!

I don't necessarily want that many more benefits (I'm very pragmatic), but when dealing with FB I would like that agents to understand that as a Platinum member I know what I'm talking about, perhaps dedicated Platinum agents in addition to have our calls prioritised.

I recently had my fifth form letter of the year telling me that it is a good idea to communicate my FB number at the time of booking and upon check-in. No kidding.

These things make me think they don't take us seriously.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 6:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BMI Diamond Club, Emirates Skywards
I would add the awards booking engine to this list, although to call it an engine is a bit generous for something that often refuses to start, gives no clues as to what is in the tank, allows you to select one of its offerings and then delights in telling you it is not actually available, and spews out a random number of miles it is going to charge you for the privilige.

Being more positive in the flavour of this thread here is my starting list of suggested changes to the awards engine.

1. Show dates when awards are available. The normal booking engine does this already, and for awards colours could be used to show Web, normal, and open miles awards. Other colours could be used to show awards only available to elites. Elites would feel more special booking an award that they knew wasn't available to those with a lower status.

2. Don't show any awards itineries that are not actually available.

3. Make sure the miles deducted are in line with FB rules. At the moment they are often not, and in the vast majority of cases extra miles are charged.

4. Being more creative - how about reducing some of the charges on awards for elites - even a sliding scale based on status? This would be particularly useful in Europe where the competion is often low-cost cariers who can often offer a normal flight as cheap as an FB award, when the charges are added.

That will do for a start - I am sure some of you can think of lots more.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
- Empty middle seat for elite when possible
- Access to your reservation online change your seat change your flight etc
- Efficient search engine for award ticket
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
There are lots of ideas here, some of them are targeting KLM rather than FB. (i.e., booking engine, horrible web site).

Let's focus on FB this round, and we'll tackle the carriers next.

Remember to present solutions to your complaints. Priority Boarding, for example, is a great one; but how should it be done without requiring an additional agent?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by alanw

Remember to present solutions to your complaints. Priority Boarding, for example, is a great one; but how should it be done without requiring an additional agent?
How about blindly copying what Northwest does, who blindly copied what Continental does, namely, make a red/blue/light blue carpet with a priority lane arrow which doesn't get shoved into a corner and allow elites to board on the carpet when they wish. The same agent would collect boarding passes. (Compared to the current system where one blue polyster girl takes a boarding pass while another blue polyster girl stands idly by watching her (in training?)

This is not rocket science. Just very basic operational management.

For the livestock holding pens utilized in e.g. Schiphol one could move or duplicate the carpet approach at the entrance to the slurf. Customers attempting to block the way or jump queue could be given a red stamp or sticker on their boarding entitling them to board absolutely last at the end of the process.

Last edited by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM; Jan 11, 2007 at 11:58 am
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by frankvb
But isn't that already the case - using "open miles"? If you meant that all award inventory in C should come from regular inventory - there isn't an FF program that does that, AFAIK.

As well the '100% earning on all fares' would be an excellent improvement, but lots of competing programs have the same rules. Perhaps improving* it to 50% would be more achievable.

* notice the careful avoidance of the 'enhancement' word
should read:
- Award booking in C from regular inventory at regular redemption rates for Platinum Elites
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:09 pm

Programs: AF&KL FB(P), LX M&M, IB+
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
(Compared to the current system where one blue polyster girl takes a boarding pass while another blue polyster girl stands idly by watching her (in training?)
when i asked this from one of the polyster ones she said this is schiphol issue and not a klm issue, then the FA told me oh but we dont have a real business class on these flights, and gave me a candy (but she dont consider their own two class cabin offer on 737 being worthy anything! and yes it was business class booking!).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.