FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Replacing wireless router?
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:20 pm
milepig
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Replacing wireless router?

My home wireless router has finally bit the dust - well, actually I only need to reboot it 3-4 times a day so technically it is on life support.

This is a old NetGear somethingorother, but low end from BestBuy about 3 years ago, hooked into SBC DSL. Access is from several machines, but mostly from very new laptops - while I don't have the specs with me, you can assume they can handle high speed connections.

I want to replace the router with something that can take full advantage of the SBC DSL and laptop capabilities without paying for more power than I'll need.

I still have bad memories from the initial setup, including some disagreement over the setup instructions from the SBC modem and the NetGear router that took many phone calls and much finger pointing (each claimed it wasn't their problem) before I got it all working. I haven't touched the system since, other than to add new devices to the approved list. How much installation and configuration will I need to do to introduce a replacement router?