FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Omaha Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:40 pm
Jim_in_Omaha

Hotels and Food in Omaha

This thread needed updating by some locals; I'll go first, others please help out!!

Omaha's enjoyed a huge transformation in recent years, and attracted a lot of "missing" resturant and hotel options. I'll start with downtown, and in another post (or with help from others!) address midtown and west Omaha.

These downtown hotels are within a few blocks and an easy walk of the best "hang out" (IMHO) in Omaha, the "Old Market":

Hilton at 1001 Cass Street is the best in town, and across from the new Quest Center arena and convention center. Great bar, great food on property.
Hilton Garden Inn at 10th and Dodge is quite nice. Not sure about the bar, can vouch for good food. Short walk to Quest Center.
Marriott Courtyard at 10th and Douglas is very nice. Good bar/food. Short walk to Quest Center.
Double Tree at 16th and Dodge is a nice, older property with an excellent executive training/meeting facility on the top floor. Good bar/food.
Embassy Suites at 10th and Howard is a personal favorite. Popular for seminars/workshops/meetings, located on the east edge of the Old Market. Good bar, great food.
Reddick Plaza 15th and Harney is a nicely renovated art deco hotel. Very close to the Old Market, also near the business center of downtown, and near the Courthouse.
Magnolia at 16th and Howard is the new owner of a grand old building, formerly a Sheraton hotel. Haven't been in it, but it should appeal to those loving the "old world" style. Located between the Old Market, and the business center of downtown.

Omaha enjoys a surprisingly wide variety of great Food options. For travelers in or near downtown and wanting to get out of the hotel the "Old Market" is your best bet for both Food and Fun. Eclectic shops and resturants, farmers market in the summer, buggy rides, street music, and a thriving art scene including the world famous Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts. Website: http://www.oldmarket.com

A few of my favorite restaurants, but there are many more in the area:

Vincenzo's Terrific casual italian, in the old "Brass Grill" location.
Vivace Great traditional italian; not the usual italian fare.
M's Pub Personal favorite; upscale, changing menu, they are very good at actually holding a reservation.
V Mertz Intimate fine dining in "The Passageway", perfect to impress somebody. Huge wine list.
Indian Oven Some of the best indian food this side of the world.
French Cafe Elegant upscale french. Bonus: a top notch bar to hang out in. Try "The Sammy" - a chocolate-coffee martini.
Omaha Prime Superb chop house, one of Omaha's best steaks.
Upsteam Brewery Best brew pub in town, with seasonal beers and awesome food. Great place to meet up with somebody.
Spaghetti Works Casual, all you can eat pasta, etc. Considered a family place, will impress a wider audiance. Sits square in the middle of the Market.
Zio's Pizza New York style pizza, great casual dining.
Flatiron Cafe Very elegant, top of the line Continental dining, located at the west edge of the Market.
Butsy Le Doux's Awesome cajun in the heartland? Yes!!
Jobber's Canyon Haven't tried it yet, but hearing great things.
La Buvette Casual-to-nice wine and fine dining. Great place to eat well then mellow out.
Old Chicago Another local favorite for a wide variety of casual eats.
Trini's Very nice mexican, a surprising gem in the Passageway.

For Coffee and such (skip the Starbucks!):
Delice Bakery Incredible pastries with coffee and tea every way you can imagine.
13th Street Coffee Funky hang out with occasional music to groove to.

Omaha has a lot more to offer, I'll cover other areas later. I've got to get back to my real job, which usually involves traveling elsewhere.