FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I Can't Believe It -- U.S. Government Misspells My Last Name On My New Passport
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:47 am
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
That's not good. My dad once had trouble leaving the US, I think on Air China, because of a discrepancy in spelling on his new passport. I'd try to rectify this ASAP.

If I were you I'd go in person to whatever passport office is nearby (if you need to drive to NYC, I'd do that) in order to get this rectified.
Our Govt is unable to perform basic functions now. I am sorry this happened to you. That's why I prefer to do it in person ratehr than mail even though it costs more. I renewed my passport yesterday and was terrified that some one would misspell my name or put the wrong date of birth. I checked before I left the window that everything was in order.

The official line for going to a regional passport office in person is that you have to make an appointment the day before. You are asssigned a time and a code. You are allowed in the building only within plus minus 15 minutes of your appointment time. If you arrive more than 15 minutes late, you your appointment is cancelled and you have to reschedule on phone for the next day.

I renewed my passport for the same reason (it expires in January). This is my thrid passport. My first passport had run out of pages. I had to go in person, no extra cost ibnvolved, to have the extra pages added. When I renewed my passport the last time, I asked for extra pages and was obliged as the previous passort had run out of usable pages. I made a request to that effect this time aslo, but was told that the new biometric passports have 28 pages only currently. Howevever if I run out of pages, I can have extra pages added at no cost if I do it by mail, which takes about 6 weeks. Alternatively, I can have it done in person for a $60 expedited fee. The fact that I just paid a $60 expdeited fee to renew the passport means nothing.

Based on this, you wil likely be told, if you can get to see a human being on Friday, that you have to pay $60 expedited fee if you want your name "changed" (I know I should have said corrected) on the spot, or you can do it by mail at no cost, which involve six weeks processing time.