Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I Can't Believe It -- U.S. Government Misspells My Last Name On My New Passport

I Can't Believe It -- U.S. Government Misspells My Last Name On My New Passport

Old Dec 7, 06, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Exclamation I Can't Believe It -- U.S. Government Misspells My Last Name On My New Passport

I have to fly out to Korea on Sunday morning and needed a business visa. My Passport had less than six months validity on it so I needed a new Passport. Last week I got all the necessary paperwork for the Passport and the visa to my company's visa guy in Manhattan. I got the Passport back today and my last name was misspelled. I double checked the application and I spelled it correctly there (it was also spelled correctly on my old Passport). Not surprisingly, the Korean visa also has my last name misspelled.

I don't know how we are going to get this fixed in time. I need the Passport and visa back by Saturday morning at the latest. Since I have the Passport here now and we can't get it back in the hands of the visa guy until tomorrow morning, there is probably not enough time to get it fixed.

I am so furious right now. I hate our government so much. What a bunch of incompetent morons. I am also mad at the visa guy for not double checkign when he got the Passport back.

I need to be on that plane on Sunday morning. Any other solution is unacceptable. This is a major contract dispute that if not resolved next week will likely result in litigation.
Old Dec 7, 06, 7:58 am

Let's hope that this little misspelling also doesn't result in too much of your time being miSSSSpent
Old Dec 7, 06, 8:16 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 22, 08 at 10:28 am
Old Dec 7, 06, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
That's not good. My dad once had trouble leaving the US, I think on Air China, because of a discrepancy in spelling on his new passport. I'd try to rectify this ASAP.

If I were you I'd go in person to whatever passport office is nearby (if you need to drive to NYC, I'd do that) in order to get this rectified.
Old Dec 7, 06, 8:22 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'd rush off to arrange an appointment with the passport office for an emergency passport issuance .... but with little chance of getting the passport AND visa in time unless doing the passport this morning and the visa first thing tomorrow. (I guess there's entering S. Korea without a visa even if that's incongruent with the technical requirements for entry otherwise.)

Does our government still make us pay to call up and inform them of a mistake on our passport?
Old Dec 7, 06, 9:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by magiciansampras View Post
That's not good. My dad once had trouble leaving the US, I think on Air China, because of a discrepancy in spelling on his new passport. I'd try to rectify this ASAP.

If I were you I'd go in person to whatever passport office is nearby (if you need to drive to NYC, I'd do that) in order to get this rectified.
Our Govt is unable to perform basic functions now. I am sorry this happened to you. That's why I prefer to do it in person ratehr than mail even though it costs more. I renewed my passport yesterday and was terrified that some one would misspell my name or put the wrong date of birth. I checked before I left the window that everything was in order.

The official line for going to a regional passport office in person is that you have to make an appointment the day before. You are asssigned a time and a code. You are allowed in the building only within plus minus 15 minutes of your appointment time. If you arrive more than 15 minutes late, you your appointment is cancelled and you have to reschedule on phone for the next day.

I renewed my passport for the same reason (it expires in January). This is my thrid passport. My first passport had run out of pages. I had to go in person, no extra cost ibnvolved, to have the extra pages added. When I renewed my passport the last time, I asked for extra pages and was obliged as the previous passort had run out of usable pages. I made a request to that effect this time aslo, but was told that the new biometric passports have 28 pages only currently. Howevever if I run out of pages, I can have extra pages added at no cost if I do it by mail, which takes about 6 weeks. Alternatively, I can have it done in person for a $60 expedited fee. The fact that I just paid a $60 expdeited fee to renew the passport means nothing.

Based on this, you wil likely be told, if you can get to see a human being on Friday, that you have to pay $60 expedited fee if you want your name "changed" (I know I should have said corrected) on the spot, or you can do it by mail at no cost, which involve six weeks processing time.
Old Dec 7, 06, 9:47 am

Programs: just above cargo
Have you been to Korea before? Because if the passport, the visa and the ticket all match, then how would they know there has been a spelling mistake? You could just go with what's there, couldn't you?

Edit: I'm not saying there's no problem, but maybe you could just fix it all when you come back.
Old Dec 7, 06, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by secretbunnyboy View Post
Have you been to Korea before? Because if the passport, the visa and the ticket all match, then how would they know there has been a spelling mistake? You could just go with what's there, couldn't you?

Edit: I'm not saying there's no problem, but maybe you could just fix it all when you come back.
Had he known in advance that his name was going to be missepelled he could have booked a ticket wthi is misspelled name, which BTW would not be looked at so kindly by DHS. Travelling under an assumed name, with a passport and a vis to match the asSumed name!. Secondly, get real. This is FT. The misspelled name wouldn't match the name on the FFP and he wouldn't get any miles.
Old Dec 7, 06, 10:18 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Interesting... I just renewed my passport, and they mysteriously changed my place of birth. Don't really see how it affects me (not like having a name misspelled, so I just let it slide).
Old Dec 7, 06, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri View Post
Had he known in advance that his name was going to be missepelled he could have booked a ticket wthi is misspelled name, which BTW would not be looked at so kindly by DHS. Travelling under an assumed name, with a passport and a vis to match the asSumed name!. Secondly, get real. This is FT. The misspelled name wouldn't match the name on the FFP and he wouldn't get any miles.
The FFP will generally credit the miles in the case of minor name variations (or even some quite substantial ones); but too often it requires manual intervention.
Old Dec 7, 06, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1 View Post
Interesting... I just renewed my passport, and they mysteriously changed my place of birth. Don't really see how it affects me (not like having a name misspelled, so I just let it slide).
If they changed your place of birth and it's not just the use of a larger (or current) geographic entity that encompasses your place of birth, then I'd get that corrected, particularly because in the event of questioning or emergency/accident, the mistake could cause some delay/inconvenience/additional questioning.
Old Dec 7, 06, 10:33 am

Programs: ANA SFC, Priority Club

A bit OT, but the embassy in Bern added pages to my passport for free (I just dropped in --no appointment-- first thing in the morning and was out in less than an hour). I get the impression that this is possible at most overseas embassies. If you are travelling aboad so often, perhaps you could schedule in an extra day to stop by an embassy?

-Kush
Old Dec 7, 06, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The FFP will generally credit the miles in the case of minor name variations (or even some quite substantial ones); but too often it requires manual intervention.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. Anything that's supposed to happen without human intervention won't. My company's travel people inisisted on issuing tickets to traveling employees in their LASTnmae, Initial format only. Automated FC upgrades did not go through as my name on the FF acount was spelled out as First Last. I tried to convince the travel office to issue my tickets with my name spelled out completely. They wouldn't budge. 9/11 changed that. Within a week of 9/11 they started spelling out the name in full.
Old Dec 7, 06, 10:38 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Yaatri View Post
OK, so here is one possible idea... since you will be travelling in paid C/J, it might work. IF come Saturday morning, your passport / visa still have the wrong name, purchase a new C/J ticket using the misspelled name. As mentioned previously, the FF miles should still be able to work out - albeit possibly with manual intervention. AFTER purchasing the ticket with the misspelled name, refund the old ticket. This, of course assumes that your original C/J ticket was refundable - which most are.

BTW, that is a complete cluster-f*ck that the DHS misspelled your name; what appalling incompetence!!! The worst case scenario would be if the passport has a different spelling in the computer - which might cause all sorts of confusion upon return to the US. I think the above solution should not result in such a bad outcome, and then you would have time to resolve the issue upon return to the US. And yes, purchasing a full-fare C/J ticket for TPAC travel the day before departure will probably get you the SSSS treatment .

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old Dec 7, 06, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; UA Gold MM; DL Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
PresRDC: can you change your airline ticket (or refund it and buy a new one) so that the spelling of your name matches what is on your errant passport and visa as secretbunnyboy already suggested? If so, this would seem to be a stopgap solution until you return. As long as the name on the ticket matches your passport and visa, you shouldn't have any problems.

If not, I would call your Congressman immediately to see if he can intervene and provided an expedited resolution. You're obviously going to need to cut through the government bureaucracy with extreme haste if the aforementioned strategy won't work for some reason.

Search this Thread