FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do NYers tend to hate New Jersey?
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:17 am
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by myfrogger
I've seen more and more NYers make comments to indicate that being in New Jersey is the worst, most discusting, horrible place on earth.
Sounds like these people have some baggage or hangups. The worst place on earth? I see their education and experience of travel have been a tad limited.

People have made comments, for example, that it is worth several hundred dollars more just to fly into LGA vs. EWR "just to avoid the state of New Jersey."
Some people have money to burn.

I don't really get it...anyone care to explain?
To be that aggravated is more of a reflection on them than anything else.

Originally Posted by secretsea18
They reap the benefits of working in Manhattan, but live in NJ. Pretenders ... I agree.
What are they pretending? They'll never be New Yorkers. They just know that a great deal of the opportunities are in the city and not in the burbs. And they pay heavily in taxes for it.

NJ's politicians are among the most corrupt and the people of the state keep electing and re-electing them so they have themselves to blame. So maybe it's not the state as much as it is some of the people which makes them a nationwide target for ridicule.

Originally Posted by swag
As to NJ, when I was a child living in NYC, we would drive thru NJ heading south, and I couldn't help noticing how much the state stank. Literally. For miles around Elizabeth, there was a strong and foul odor, kind of a skunk bathing in sulpher kind of thing.
It's disgusting and it's centered on the NJ Turnpike. Driving out to western NJ by the Appalachian trail or down to Island Beach State Park, it's beautiful.

Last edited by Analise; Nov 23, 2006 at 9:29 am