FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How safe is India for Americans?
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:58 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AA25
Whatever is unsafe is unsafe for all not just WASP.

Unsafe for all:

Kashmir
Northeast (Beyond West Bengal)
Bihar
Any area with majority Muslim population
Not true about the last one. Old Delhi is just fine, as are most various other areas in India with majority-muslim populations. And Bihar is fine for "WASPs" using common sense.

Kashmir's tourist locations in the summer are again generally ok too for non-Indians. (I wouldn't have said that ten years ago.)

Originally Posted by drbond
Now I am not trying to open a can of worms but in my experience Hindu is not a religion with any anger toward Christians or Americans. (ie no radicals). In other words the people I have me that are hindu all seemed kind.
Why am I not surprised.

Most all areas in India with majority-muslim populations are as safe as other areas in India. Old Delhi is majority-muslim and it's even been safe for the children of ex-Presidents of the US wandering without an army. Same thing with various other parts of North, South, Central and East India.

Perhaps you aren't aware that the a significant number of hindu-fundamentalist thugs can't stand christians in India either? That's why some christian missionaries have ended up in trouble and there's the annual Valentine burning and bashing of card shops and more.

You might want to tell Mahatma Gandhi's descendants and Nehru's great-grandchildren that there are no radical hindus. It would come as news to quite the number.