FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 16: What's Long Overdue?
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:26 am
Jenbel
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Not so much long overdue, but possibly 'nice to have' - improving the suport for how dos are organised (I know, I realise I'm very obsessed with dos at the moment - believe me, by next week, when it's all over and everyone is on their way home again, I'll be recovered ). But there are literally hundreds of events organised across the course of a year, which probably thousands of people attend - and it's pretty much all done by us volunteers, trying our best to sort out things around our day jobs (atlhough for London, we've had some great sponsorship and prizes donated as well ). Finding the mollyguard/eventbrite online software was a major thing for the London do, and it has been snapped up by another couple of organisers. There must be other, just as useful, resources out there which it would be possible to find and use (even if just to be listed somewhere in a do resource list or something like that). Even the little things, like using FT logos on badges and other event related items - I got my clean copy of the logo from another FT organiser, who I think got it from HOM and will no doubt provide it to others as needed - the problems of contact many people at once using PMs (there were many reasons SanDiego1K did all the major pm-ing, and one of them was to do with the number of PMs she could send out at once, compared with either me and Wingnut), and ensuring that those contacted had actually seen the communications.

Maybe it's time we started to formalise the do organisation network, so that those of us old hands can help the new, enthusiastic people, by sharing our combined wit, wisdom and experience (or something like that ) Having three of us organising for London has been good, because we've been bouncing ideas of each other, to work out what will work and what won't, which only improves the experience for the users who attend. Being able to pick the brains of other experienced organisers, and those who are inexperienced, but may have some great ideas about what and how to do dos could be extremely beneficial.

I think, when this do is all over, I need to go away and think about this some more - it's almost a new forum request, but could also be more. Certainly, one could see a case for a different class of FT use - Do organiser, with subtlely different settings on PM sending for example to make their life easier