FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CNBC AA "behind-the-scenes" documentary Oct '06; consolidated thread
Old Oct 19, 2006, 9:35 am
AyanO

Originally Posted by daggett24
$350 for freight seems odd, you could add a row of seats down there, and make that up and then some..
I have no idea what the freight on that flight consisted of, but it being a NYC to LAX flight, it was most likely USPS mail, since they talked about how most of our mail travels on commerical flights. It was only on the little Miami segment did they mention the "Exotic" cargo like flowers, machine parts etc from Latin America...

So if it costs us .39 cents to mail a letter to LA that gets there in 3 days on average, and the postal service I believe runs a defecit each year, I'm wondering how much AA charges on average per letter, it must be in a .01 cent or lower ranger, if they only charged $350 bucks for surely alot of Cargo on that plane..

Also wondering how my USPS mail gets to europe, and i've recently sent things by airmail to Germany, Sweden and other places and it arrives in 3-4 business days, almost as fast as something going to LA..

Overall a great look at how the whole airline works, while us FlyerTalk junkies probably didnt get too much out of it, with only 10 minutes or so dedicted to AAdvantage, it was great to learn about how they rip apart and build back almost every plane on a 4year basis, and just how many miles(30 million??) i think that one 767 has flown in 20 years.. Or even in the 1 week of the show, I think that plane did 18 cross countryNYC to LAX/SFO, and a few Bermuda trips..