FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lounges at LAX - Access, Showers, Questions, Which One? [Consolidated thread]
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:44 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Brand new interim business lounge at LAX Tom Bradley (TBIT)

Yesterday was the first day this lounge was open. It looks and smells brand new. By sheer coincidence I happened to be flying out of TBIT yesterday.

There is a shuttle bus to & from gate 118 (very close to the right hand screening point) every 5 to 10 minutes in the evening (not sure of frequency at other times of day), and it takes about 5 minutes to reach the lounge depending on aircraft movements. So if have less than 30 minutes before boarding don't bother with a lounge visit - it isnt worthwhile. You need an invitation card to access the shuttle - no card no access regardless of what your boarding pass says. This also means you can't do multiple visits, since the invite card is removed before you board the shuttle.

Looks like about 400 chairs, all laid out closely in a big open plan with one corner partly screened off from the rest. There are 4 or 5 computer terminals with an outrageous internet charge of $0.25 per minute, minimum $3.

All plates, utensils and cups are plastic - yuk. Food is low quality - chips, cheese and crackers, mini sandwiches (mostly grilled vege flavour), small selection of fruit. Drink quality is low - eg cheap local sparkling wine in 187ml bottle instead of champagne, Johnnie Walker Red, etc. No drink chits needed and all self serve (so no tips needed either).

While it wasn't too busy when I was there (for one of the earliest evening departures) with maybe 150 people, I could imagine it getting claustrophobically busy in peak travel periods.

There are toilets but no shower and no bathroom amenities (other than paper towels).

There is only 1 rubbish bin in the public area of the lounge, but staff wander around clearing away the rubbish.

There is no tv or even a monitor showing flight status. Instead when it is time to board someone wanders the lounge with a small blackboard and flight number is written on it, ringing a bell to attract attention! I suggest you don't go to the loo at the wrong time or you'd easily miss it.

Some airlines have ground staff circulating in the lounge. They say expect at least 12 to 18 months, and confirmed that top tier elites who would normally have access to first lounge when not flying first will indeed have to slum it in this interim lounge.

There are no magazines and only a very limited selection and quantity of newspapers.

I hope this info helps. Please ask if I haven't mentioned something you want to know.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 11, 2006 at 4:50 pm Reason: mixed left and right hands :o