FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sharm El Sheikh (Hyatt) & Taba Heights (NO LONGER HYATT) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:49 am
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

bondiboy has given an excellent review on the Sharm property. Here are a few additional bits.

Airport to hotel
We did not prebook a hotel car, so walked out to the taxi rank on arrival. We were quoted prices that ranged as high as 120 Egyptian pounds. In fact, there is a fixed price of 35 LE for the trip. (The current rate is roughly 5 LE/1 USD.)

Arrival
Taxis are not allowed on the hotel property; you are dropped off at the front gate. This is a consequence of the bombing in Naama Bay 18 months ago; it is an edict of the police and not a hotel driven policy.

The fellows at the entry called a hotel golf cart to come up and take us to reception. We had been upgraded to the Regency Club, so we and our suitcases then had to be put on the golf cart again for a trip there. It would have been good if they had taken our name at the entry point and called it in, so that we were immediately taken to the Regency Club. Regardless, we were glad of the upgrade.

We were initially given an ocean view room, but we did not like the view over the roof top of the building in front of us. We eventually got an ocean front room.

Rates
Rates never fluctuated from $200/night for the several months I monitored them, despite our dates being during Ramadan and the hotel being about 60% full. I used 5000 points per night, which was good value.

Breakfast
We are allowed to chose breakfast in either the Regency Club or the main breakfast room each day.

Internet
We were told that there is a fee to use the computer in the Regency Club. It is $20/half hour or $60/2 hours. There are internet cafes along the road, so we have paid the price for a hotel car to take us to one, then take a taxi back to the hotel, for a substantial savings. (Hotel car ( Mitsubishi) is 40 LE; return taxi is 20 LE.)

Hotel layout
The hotel is huge and sprawling. It is quite a hike between various points. Staff is happy to arrange a golf cart pick up; although we are learning our way around on foot with time. The hotel was too big for me, though I did enjoy the various offerings. There is an excellent restaurant on the beach that is only open for lunch til 5pm; it serves good food in a beautiful setting.

House reef
We don't dive - but we heard several folks extoll the fact that the hotel has its own house reef. One couple, with a small child, said they could suit up, dive, and be back in two hours, which made it great since they needed a babysitter for their small daughter.

Conclusion
Beautiful hotel, lots to do, simply too big for us. The Regency Club failed to be a hotel within a hotel, due to rooms being far from it. What drives us in hotels is very personal - and for me, I would not return.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 10, 2006 at 9:18 am