FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:02 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
London Heathrow to Los Angeles (LHR-LAX) Business Class on BA 747

For my trans-atlantic flight I naturally chose one of the longer ones to maximise mileage and status earning. While I don't like LAX, I ended up choosing this route to make the next legs work out well.

I was looking forward to this flight with the unexpected bonus of being the first day of new service changes to Club World. After checking emails and FT, and copious coffee so as to not fall asleep through boarding call (thanks also to chrissxb for help in staying awake), boarding is called and I sleepily head for the gate.

At the gate desk I see a huge stack of new boarding passes - looks like a lot of op-ups (maybe 20 or more!). The person in front of me in the elite queue gets an op-up to first (with a discreet "I think you'll enjoy this seat more sir" from the agent). Alas no op-up for me but I can't complain.

As soon as I enter the aircraft and climb the stairs to upper deck I am hit with the heat inside - it seems yet another aircraft with non-functioning APU Boarding completes on time but shortly after the lights go out. Huh? Then pilot rushes downstairs to talk to someone and back up a couple of minutes later. Soon the captain comes on the PA and explains the terminal power connection with the aircraft has gone down. The lights and power come back on (still no aircon so getting very hot by now). Then a few minutes later they go off again. This repeats a few times and it takes more than 30 minutes to get the first engine started.

Then the pilot comes on the PA again to announce we've lost our slot and expected push back is not for at least another 30 minutes. There are loud groans from everyone at this unwelcome news. The crew take the initiative to hand out ice cold towels and water while we wait ^^^ 30 minutes comes and goes and eventually we push back 75 minutes late with a further wait at a holding pen near the runway for 15 minutes.

As we take off I feel the welcome relief of the aircon starting to kick in - we'd spent 2 hours in the sweltering aircraft up to this point.

The first 20 minutes or so are very bumpy as we climb through storm clouds. Once it settles the drinks service begins followed quickly by lunch. Then I gratefully fall into a good sleep, only walking up a couple of hours out from LAX just in time for the snack.

Not that I'm that familiar with the previous Club World soft product, my observation of the changes are.
  • The blanket is replaced by a much better duvet.
  • Amenity kit has changed, but not the contents IIRC.
  • Menu is now blue and smaller size. Wine list is separate page (ie not stapled in).
  • Different covering on pillows, matches the new napkins. The napkin ring will not serve as a bracelet unless you are an elf or kate moss.
  • Bathroom still has paper towels and sandpaper-like one-ply TP
  • The champagne changed to Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve.
  • I didn't get to try the Raid the Larder replacement "Club Kitchen" so can't comment on that.

We'd made good time en route and so landed in LAX only just over an hour late. Immigration was fairly quick compared to my usual experience at T2 - landside in 10 minutes. I then went to dinner and a walk around Universal City with flysurfer, having plenty of time before my next flight.

Edited to add - I forgot I overheard passenger asking about paid onboard upgrades. He was quoted 750 pounds for D->F one-way. Ouch.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 2, 2006 at 7:38 am