FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - We have to go to Kazakhstan!
View Single Post
Old Sep 29, 2006, 3:16 am
ajax

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by fraisse10
No, offensive and racist crud, actually. Why is it OK to poke fun at Central Asians, when anyone doing so to black Africans and/or their country would be shunned quicker than it takes to say "unfunny and ugly"?
Because, for better or worse, Central Asians don't have the same tragic history of centuries of mistreatment by Western societies that Black Africans do. Trust me, I'm not self-flagellating, but I think he's exploiting cultural sensitivities (or lack thereof). There's no "institution" in the "West" to defend Central Asians, although there most certainly is for other groups.

You'd think someone called Baron-Cohen would know better than to purvey prejudiced racial stereotypes, but I guess no-one went bust underestimating the taste in humour of today's lowlifes.
I believe that every human being (regardless of ethnicity, race, etc.) should find such boorish and base behaviour unacceptable and insulting. But I agree - Baron-Cohen you'd think would create some awareness. If it's any consolation, I've heard he's not so kind to Jews (nor gays, nor loads of other groups) either.

I just don't see the humour in insulting groups of people or acting out outlandish, (in some cases non-existent) stereotypes. It's just bizarre that people find this man funny.

Kazakhstan is a beautiful, fascinating, culturally rich and seriously fun country.
And seriously underrated!

Anyone who finds Borat funny is probably mentally incapable of enjoying it.
Unfortunately, there's no accounting for taste.