We have to go to Kazakhstan!

Old Sep 29, 06, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
We have to go to Kazakhstan!

Just watched the Kazakh ambassador on Sky News discussing the Borat movie. The journo even asked him if it wasn't true that they had the cleanest prostitutes in central Asia! Hilarious.

He had the sense to acknowledge that all publicity is good publicity, and I must say I came away thinking yeah, why not visit one day. I've never been to a Do and I'm not even sure if BA flies there but if there were other interest, I'd consider going for a weekend.

Some of us might have to wear blue hats but any women in our group would no longer have to travel on the outside of buses. And be careful, the legal age of consent has just been raised to 8.

James
Old Sep 29, 06, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a long, long flight. Something like 9 1/2 hours. With a stop, I believe, in SVX.
Old Sep 29, 06, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
It's a long, long flight. Something like 9 1/2 hours. With a stop, I believe, in SVX.

Yes, second thoughts here too : cheepest club fare is 2.2k! I thought is was just past Greece somewhere; clearly a bit further!
Old Sep 29, 06, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19300 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by James S
Just watched the Kazakh ambassador on Sky News discussing the Borat movie. The journo even asked him if it wasn't true that they had the cleanest prostitutes in central Asia! Hilarious.

No, offensive and racist crud, actually. Why is it OK to poke fun at Central Asians, when anyone doing so to black Africans and/or their country would be shunned quicker than it takes to say "unfunny and ugly"? You'd think someone called Baron-Cohen would know better than to purvey prejudiced racial stereotypes, but I guess no-one went bust underestimating the taste in humour of today's lowlifes.

Kazakhstan is a beautiful, fascinating, culturally rich and seriously fun country. Anyone who finds Borat funny is probably mentally incapable of enjoying it.
Old Sep 29, 06, 2:32 am

I thought is was just past Greece somewhere; clearly a bit further!
Then you might find buying an atlas a better use of time than watching Sky News.
Old Sep 29, 06, 2:45 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Originally Posted by fraisse10
Anyone who finds Borat funny is probably mentally incapable of enjoying it.
I would say most of the humour in the Borat character is not from his statements about Kazakhstan, but from the reaction that Westerners have to his outlandish behaviour. Indeed, the Borat sketches tend to be a far more damning indictment of Western (read: British and American) society than they are of Kazakh society. Anyone remember the (in)famous sketch when he got a whole crowd of Americans singing along to an incredibly offensive song about Jewish people and wells? Just because he uses humour as a screen for making his point, does not make his points less valid.
Old Sep 29, 06, 3:02 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
Originally Posted by csdf
I would say most of the humour in the Borat character is not from his statements about Kazakhstan, but from the reaction that Westerners have to his outlandish behaviour. Indeed, the Borat sketches tend to be a far more damning indictment of Western (read: British and American) society than they are of Kazakh society. Anyone remember the (in)famous sketch when he got a whole crowd of Americans singing along to an incredibly offensive song about Jewish people and wells? Just because he uses humour as a screen for making his point, does not make his points less valid.

The Kazakhstan Ambassador (or similar) was interviewed on News 24 at the weekend and was laughing it off. He said the Kazakhstan portrait by Baron-Cohen should have been called Borathstan instead.

In some ways Borat is a modern day Alf Garnet. I saw an interview once with Warren Mitchell when he said he used humour to show how blind bigotry was. He said people often came up to him a said things such as "good on you for slagging off blacks, indians, pakistanis, etc, etc". His retort was to point out that they were so thick they they could not see that his whole position was the exact opposite.
Old Sep 29, 06, 3:03 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
It's a shame some people are so hung-up & uptight, about someone else possibly causing offense to others, that they block out all other aspects, including the humour. It's obvious from the show that he doesn't know anything about Kazakhstan & not targetting them directly - but he had to Come from somewhere didn't he? Doesn't bear thinking about what the BBC would have done to the character, if owned it & had editorial control.
Old Sep 29, 06, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
No, offensive and racist crud, actually. Why is it OK to poke fun at Central Asians, when anyone doing so to black Africans and/or their country would be shunned quicker than it takes to say "unfunny and ugly"? You'd think someone called Baron-Cohen would know better than to purvey prejudiced racial stereotypes, but I guess no-one went bust underestimating the taste in humour of today's lowlifes.

Kazakhstan is a beautiful, fascinating, culturally rich and seriously fun country. Anyone who finds Borat funny is probably mentally incapable of enjoying it.
Is it cos I is black?
Old Sep 29, 06, 3:16 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
No, offensive and racist crud, actually. Why is it OK to poke fun at Central Asians, when anyone doing so to black Africans and/or their country would be shunned quicker than it takes to say "unfunny and ugly"?
Because, for better or worse, Central Asians don't have the same tragic history of centuries of mistreatment by Western societies that Black Africans do. Trust me, I'm not self-flagellating, but I think he's exploiting cultural sensitivities (or lack thereof). There's no "institution" in the "West" to defend Central Asians, although there most certainly is for other groups.

You'd think someone called Baron-Cohen would know better than to purvey prejudiced racial stereotypes, but I guess no-one went bust underestimating the taste in humour of today's lowlifes.
I believe that every human being (regardless of ethnicity, race, etc.) should find such boorish and base behaviour unacceptable and insulting. But I agree - Baron-Cohen you'd think would create some awareness. If it's any consolation, I've heard he's not so kind to Jews (nor gays, nor loads of other groups) either.

I just don't see the humour in insulting groups of people or acting out outlandish, (in some cases non-existent) stereotypes. It's just bizarre that people find this man funny.

Kazakhstan is a beautiful, fascinating, culturally rich and seriously fun country.
And seriously underrated!

Anyone who finds Borat funny is probably mentally incapable of enjoying it.
Unfortunately, there's no accounting for taste.
Old Sep 29, 06, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please answer the following multiple choice question:

This thread belongs:

A. in the BA Forum
B. in the OMNI Forum
C. on the Kazakh Embassy website
D. in the pocket in front of seat 1C, together with old BPs, wet hankies, and sticky wet hankies
D. in my recycle bin

Then please answer this tie break question, in no more than 1000 Tier Points, I mean words:

Posts 4 onwards in this thread are related to BA because..........

Last edited by Smirnoff; Sep 29, 06 at 3:41 am
Old Sep 29, 06, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by ajax
I just don't see the humour in insulting groups of people or acting out outlandish, (in some cases non-existent) stereotypes.
Well, clearly you and I are in a minority on this thread, though from the snickering public-school humour/innuendo that permeates this board whenever sex, women, gays or cross-dressers are, from time to time, mentioned, it should be no surprise that there's a blind spot on racism when people think no-one's going to come after them for it.
Old Sep 29, 06, 3:39 am

[QUOTE=Smirnoff]Please answer the following multiple choice question:

This thread belongs:

A. in the BA Forum
B. in the OMNI Forum
C. on the Kazakh Embassy website
D. in the pocket in front of seat 1C, together with old BPs, wet hankies, and sticky wet hankies
D. in my recycle bin

[QUOTE]

Fine. Put it in OMNI (the FT equivalent of the seat pocket). IDGAD. But, if the OP simply wanted to make an enquiry about/suggest a trip to KZ, by BA or otherwise, then honest and helpful advice on KZ is what he would have got, including from myself. If he wants to say that he finds a racist comedian funny and retread a few pathetic stereotypes, then it's not unreasonable to expect he will receive a different response.

If you're not interested in the thread , don't read it; I respect your right to do so - particularly from those who have never started or contributed to an OT thread on the BA board - I suspect they are few and far between.
Old Sep 29, 06, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Well, clearly you and I are in a minority on this thread, though from the snickering public-school humour/innuendo that permeates this board whenever sex, women, gays or cross-dressers are, from time to time, mentioned, it should be no surprise that there's a blind spot on racism when people think no-one's going to come after them for it.

Sincerely, apologies for any offence caused. All I was saying was that it was very funny seeing a Sky journalist ask the Kazakh ambassador such outrageous questions - and just as impressive seeing him reply with articulation and good humour. He gave as good as he got. The guy was doing his job - being a good ambassador for his country and making the most of the publicity (distasteful as it may be) - because I came away from the interview thinking I'd quite like to go there.

Maybe I posted a bit too quickly - clearly 10 hours flying time in a BMed seat for over 2 grand would not make for a popular do.

James
Old Sep 29, 06, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

clearly 10 hours flying time in a BMed seat for over 2 grand would not make for a popular do.
On the other hand, 460 and a GUFT isn't bad for a return in J.

Oh, and it's 10 hours 5 minutes on the return.

Search this Thread