FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Amsterdam (AMS): The Definitive Thread
Old Sep 19, 2006, 5:07 pm
themicah

Originally Posted by DTWflyer
In AMS, arriving from the UK you will have to go through passport control. Then prior to getting on the flight to BOS, you have to go through security at the gate, as with all flights in AMS. 1:20 doesn't leave any time to hang around, but it is a very do-able connection. I do it routinely.
I'm pretty sure (somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure) that only connections between Schengen and non-Schengen countries require clearing passport control. Since neither the UK nor the US is a Schengen country, your daughter should NOT pass through passport control in AMS.

She will, however, go through an extra security check at the gate for the US-bound flight.

1:20 is plenty of time unless the first flight is horribly delayed. I've made AMS connections (with my bags) in under 25 minutes when the inbound flight was delayed. AMS is a great airport to connect through. Be sure to have your daughter pick up a slab of gouda in the airport on her way home.