FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Appreciation for Medical or Health Assistance?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:54 am
bluester

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2P, MR Plat
Appreciation for Medical or Health Assistance?

Haven't seen a recent post on this topic - though there was a comprehensive one in 2004
here. This was titled "award for medical assistance."

Anyways, I'm an MD, and during a recent flight on AA, there was a patient who was shaking/having tremors. Call for medical help went overhead, and I was the only health professional on board. In examining and talking to the passenger, it seemed like he was dehydrated (luckily AA was well stocked with water and beverages, since he couldn't bring any on board). Anyways, no need to divert, and I stayed with him for a bit to make sure he was ok. End of story. No award, no appreciation offered from crew after the incident.

Here's my question to fellow MD's and health professionals... have you noticed a decline of appreciation for onboard medical assistance? Prior threads have addressed "awards" for service - I'm merely talking about a few "thank you's." Perhaps even these are hard to come by these days?

I would have expected at least a thank you from the FA's on my way out the plane. I don't expect any remuneration or miles or award - just a nice "thank you." Nope. I was up in the aisle for at least a good 15-20 minutes and the only Asian guy on the plane (i.e. couldn't be confused for anyone).

No gripes (it makes the day more pleasant when I don't expect anything from patients) - just curiosity at what others are experiencing.