FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JFK-LHR: Its like striking the lottery
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:35 pm
KenJohn

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
JFK-LHR: Its like striking the lottery

After celebrating my birthday weekend in NYC (after a minimal delay of 3 hours on Friday from LHR which is good hearing other people's horror stories) I was prepared for the worst today.

Allowed an hour extra to get to JFK in case there were security queues ? Errr - what queues?

Taxi took about 30 mins from mid-town (there was some slow traffic in Queens but it was Monday evening at 7:30pm). Taxi pulled up the CW/F end of the Terminal 7 at JFK.

There was each CW desk was occupied but there was no one in the queue in front of me. They were 3 CW counters open and they were using the Fast Bag Drop to check in CW pax as well. Joked with the checking staff about what was the "rules for the day". Took out my plastic bag ex-LHR to show I was ready for both Plan A (hand-luggage allowed) and Plan B (hand-luggage not allowed). They thought it was amusing. I supposed they were relieved that they no longer had to argue with premium pax about heavy roll-ons !!!

5 mins later and we were checked in. Could bring a small laptop bag through but definitely no roll-ons! Not liquids or gel but everything else allowed.

Walked by 3 empty F check-in counters

BA/OneWorld (QF/CX/IB) has a its own security lane for Club/F pax which was deserted. I had the IB crew behind me and no other pax around.

Breezed into Terraces. Pre-flight dinning had only 6 tables occupied 3 of whom had laptops operating. Food was much better than a fortnight ago as well.

After dinner, there is PC available to file this report.

Amazing. I suppose business pax are putting off their trips not realising that the security bit is defintely easing; in JFK at least. As such Terraces is fairly empty.

The earlier flights were delayed but my late flight is on time (and is now earlier than the other earlier flights). Someone is looking down on me and smiling this evening. Looks like I will make it to the Aug 16 do after all

Ace! I am begining to be a convert from VS to BA on the LHR-JFK routes

Well Done to BA ground staff at JFK. What a joy.