FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How can we be helpful to newbies?
View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:40 pm
WRCSolberg

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by wannabe_plat
I am sorry, I respectfully disagree here. I've never felt this anti-newbie ire, even when I started.

Let us look at my very first post on FT (was on AA), 3 years back -- link here. See who replied ? It is the now persona non grata He-who-shall-not-be-named-or-else-thread-will-be-deleted.

Let us take my 2nd thread -- this time on the MR forum. Again, notice the replies. Also notice how helpful they were to every serious question I asked. :-:

You get out of FT (and also life but that's a different discussion ), as much as you put into it. Ask a stupid question, and get a nasty reply. Show that you respect others' time/efforts, and get some back in return.

And I must respectfully disagree with you. Unfortunately I think it is some of the more knowledgeable, veteran members who are the worst offenders in terms of flaming new people.

It seems to me a lot of newbies don't know enough to know what they should be doing to help themselves. Then when they ask a question that is percieved as "stupid" they're flamed mercilessly by some of the high and mighty here at FT. That's crap.

There's really no excuse to be rude to someone, which is sometimes what I feel people are trying to justify with these types of threads. It is possible to be helpful and somewhat "corrective" without being abrasive and downright nasty.