FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OSL larger than ARN
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:07 am
view

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Clearly with only around 70 Intercontinental flights a week SAS does not have critical mass. From an operational point of view it is clearly an advantage with as few hubs as possible (read one hub). You simply have the scale advantage - both on ground services, on feeder flights and on optimising the capacity on any given route. If there is room for several flights these can be spread over the day or adding destinations thereby serving a wider audience and providing more options to your customers.
I must say, and it pains me somewhat, that SAS should centralize all IC ops at a single hub and that hub should be CPH. As much as I want OSL to get a transatlantic flight, there's no getting away from your point regarding economies of scale.

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
I realise that just the mere impact of change in itself and the national/political issues will play an important role here, but apart from that.
Of course, this is the big issue and probably the reason why SAS is struggling on so many levels. The ability to adapt, innovate and evolve has been more affected than many competitors.