FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do Not Fly List
Thread: Do Not Fly List
View Single Post
Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:50 am
Gus06

Programs: Hilton, Delta, USAirways
Do Not Fly List

I was placed on the TSA Do Not Fly List in early April. I submitted my paperwork to TSA who sent me a "clear" letter by the end of April. They turned around this clearance within about 10 business days of receiving the paperwork that I had been asked to provide. Basically the letter said that I was not the person that they were looking for and that I should be able to use regular check-in procedures but would still be subject to security screenings on the way back to the gate.

Prior to receiving the letter from TSA, I would have to check in at the ticket counter; however, once I started my trip, I would be permitted to use the kiosks to check in on my return flights.

Since receiving my letter from TSA at the end of April, I have had the opportunity to fly on Northwest, Continental, USAirways and Delta. Only Delta has failed to clear me to use the kiosks or the on-line check-in service. I called TSA and spoke to the Omsbudsmen who informed me that they send a file to the airlines after reviewing my paperwork and that they have taken the steps they need to take. I was referred back to Delta.

Since that time, I have spoken to two customer service centers and sent an e-mail inquiring when I might be able to use any of the expedited check-in methods. A representative called me back after my e-mail (about 3 weeks later) and referred me back to TSA who referred me back to Delta. After that, I sent a certified letter to Delta's CEO along w/ a copy of the letter I received from TSA, requesting information about whether and when I might be able to uses the expedited check-in procedures again. This letter was received on the 21st of June.

I guess sending this letter was a mistake since on my last flight w/ Delta this week, I was forced to use the ticket counter both on my outbound and my return flights (where as prior to the letter, I only used the ticket counter on my outbound and could use the kiosk on my return flights). On one of my last legs, I told the Delta agent that I did not think that I was supposed to be subject to the screening after I began my travel. When he hung up from speaking to TSA he said that the TSA agent said the same thing to him.

Now I understand that security is in the hands of TSA and am personally fine w/ whatever security measures that need to be taken. I am a bit perplexed over why I continue to have this issue at Delta who I fly nearly weekly and not at the other airlines that I fly only occasionally.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts around this. Are there any steps that I should take that I haven't to try to resolve this matter? If the answer is this is the way it will be when I fly Delta, then perhaps I will need to consider flying on the carriers who do not require these additional measures.