FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Odd Driving Customs
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2006, 4:33 pm
simon stingray

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
South Africa

Slow moving vehicles will drive in the hard shoulder/emergency lane of the freeway to allow faster moving vehicles to pass-this is unheard of and quite a serious offence here in the UK.

The emergency lane is also there for the benefit of minibus taxi drivers during rush hour when the lines of traffic come to a standstill on the freeways around Johannesburg. The hundreds of minibus Taxis just drive at high speed down the emergency lane and push in at the front of the line of traffic much to the annoyance of all the other drivers who are waiting.

Making U-turns across the centre of the freeway is quite common in South Africa.

During the 1980's & 1990's when I lived in South Africa it was quite the norm to drink and drive. Whilst it was officially illegal, offenders were rarely booked by the police as long as they were not involved in an accident.

I once observed a traffic officer telling a very drunk driver (could barely walk straight) to get back into his bakkie (pick up truck) and "go straight home-do not stop at anymore bars along the way". I believe the police are now clamping down on this practice as a result of the high number of road deaths every year and there have been a number of arrests recently- unless the offender and the police officer can agree to an "on the spot fine" (Bribe).

The sad thing is that South Africas "Odd Driving customs" are too numerous to list and cost many lives every year-during the month of December last year there were 1162 persons killed on South Africas roads.This is however, a slight improvement on December 2004 where 1234 persons lost thier lives on SA's roads.