FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!
Old May 28, 2006, 3:58 am
Dovster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Note: The first 24 posts on this thread concern events from May 28. I bumped it today (July 12) when the shooting began again. Discussion of the most recent incidents begin on post # 25.

Early this morning, I was on the "Who will be the next..." thread when Monitor asked me what I was doing up so early. I gave the following reply:

Originally Posted by Dovster
Actually, I would normally get up at 4:30 but I was awakened by a rather loud exchange of artillery fire.

I don't know if it was an actual fire fight across the border (which would be rather unusual) or if the Israeli Army was engaged in some kind of training (which would be even more unusual at this time of night) but there were at least two sites firing -- one close to me and one a bit further away.

I haven't received an SMS security alert so I presume that it can't be too serious and the firing stopped about 30 minutes ago.
As it turned out, it was actually one side firing. Terrorists in South Lebanon were shooting katuysha rockets into Northern Israel. What I thought were shots being fired from near me were exactly that -- the katuyshas were launched from very close to my home (but on the other side of the border).

They did not pass over me, so I didn't hear the sound of the rockets in air, but landed about 10 kilometers away. The explosions they made on impact were what I thought were shots being made from a distance.

A more complete report can be found in this article in the Jerusalem Post but while the newspaper has full details (including Israel's retaliatory raids on terrorist camps) the first report came to you on Omni.

Perhaps it is time for a new Omni slogan:

We may not get it right, but we get it fast!

Last edited by Dovster; Jul 12, 2006 at 2:47 pm