Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2006, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL, NW Silver Elite, Hilton
Originally Posted by Dovster

In the first day of the ceasefire, however, 11 missiles were shot at Israel from Gaza -- one of them landing in Sderot.

I have a feeling that I am going to be uncomfortable all weekend until she is safely back on the kibbutz.
I can't imagine!!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:03 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
There are a lot of people in the downtown area today; the place is packed. Today marks the start of an open ended sit-in called for by the opposition to bring down the government of Fouad Siniora. I wonder how long it will last...

Beirut Marathon (which was scheduled for last Sunday but was rescheduled because of the assassination of Pierre Gemayel) is set for this Sunday, December 3rd. I wonder where all the joggers will run???
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:57 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
There are a lot of people in the downtown area today; the place is packed. Today marks the start of an open ended sit-in called for by the opposition to bring down the government of Fouad Siniora. I wonder how long it will last...

Beirut Marathon (which was scheduled for last Sunday but was rescheduled because of the assassination of Pierre Gemayel) is set for this Sunday, December 3rd. I wonder where all the joggers will run???
News networks showing HUGE Hizbollah demonstration in Beirut now.....what is going on from your vantage point?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:50 am

I am still at the office and a bit far from all the activity, so I can't see much (other than what I can see on TV). I must admit, this crowd is the biggest I've seen on TV. Of course, you are going to get the government saying that only a few hundred thousand were there and the opposition is going to say that at least a million people showed up. One thing is for sure, numbers will drop over the next couple of hours but again this is an open ended "demonstration" until the government resigns. Of course the government said that it will not resign, that no demonstration will ever bring it down (funny as the last government was brought down by similar demonstrations). Wish I could say that this is all gonna end soon, but it's not... I just hope it doesn't turn violent because if it does, then no one will be able to stop it...
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Another reminder to please stay on topic and keep out politics from the moderators.

another reminder - please don't use this thread for quoting links to news networks. we all want to keep it open and in this forum.

chrissxb
co-moderator
communitybuzz!
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:24 am

...and after reading it once again a moment ago with "fresher eyes", I think he did...
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
At midnight, last night, I stood on a hill top overlooking Lake Lugano and watched as skyrockets were shot off all along its shores both in Switzerland and Italy.

It's wonderful when two neighboring countries shoot off rockets only to celebrate the arrival of a new year.

I very much hope that celebratory fireworks are the only kind that Lebanese, Israelis, and everyone else experience in 2007.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Dovster
At midnight, last night, I stood on a hill top overlooking Lake Lugano and watched as skyrockets were shot off all along its shores both in Switzerland and Italy.

It's wonderful when two neighboring countries shoot off rockets only to celebrate the arrival of a new year.

I very much hope that celebratory fireworks are the only kind that Lebanese, Israelis, and everyone else experience in 2007.
Amin (and Amen).
Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Amin (and Amen).
and with those words I close that thread to preserve the unique events shared in this thread. I hope I don't have to re-open it, which I will do upon request by dovster or beyflyer. thanks everybody for participating - thanks dovster & beyflyer for sharing your thoughts with us ^

regards

chrissxb
co-moderator
communitybuzz!
Old Jun 17, 2007, 9:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Due to some breaking developments in the Middle East, it has been requested that this thread be opened once again.

Cholula
CommunityBuzz! Co-Moderator

Last edited by Cholula; Jun 17, 2007 at 9:19 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 17, 2007, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Hopefully, this is a one-time thing, but two katuysha rockets were fired by Hizbollah a short while ago and landed in an industrial park near Kiryat Shemona, about 20 miles from my house.

As of right now, we are not being ordered into bomb shelters. As there was only property damage and no one hurt I don't think that we will see a repeat of last summer -- but the situation is very tense right now. If there are any more attacks, all bets will be off.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 9:48 am

I wish I had something to add but I am currently outside the country...
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
With the happy knowledge that Dovster and BEYflyer are safe, we're going to re-close this thread for now. If you want to follow discussion about the attack, the hows and whos and whys, please follow the thread in OMNI:
http://web2.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704945

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Old Jul 4, 2007, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Today, just about one year after the fighting along the Lebanese-Israeli border opened, I am very happy to write the final post on this thread: and it includes what I consider excellent news and an invitation to all of you.

Throughout this thread we talked about BEYFlyer and I getting together. It is finally going to happen and, in the true spirit of FlyerTalk, this Meet will be open to all members.

It will be on the weekend of Oct 26-28 in Boca Raton, Florida. (Easily reachable from the West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami airports.)

We already have 40 people who will be joining us and if any others want to come all you have to do is click on this link or my signature and it will bring you to the right thread.

(If you are one of the many who offered to buy us drinks, don't be offended if I pass -- I can't speak for BEYFlyer but I wouldn't be able to come even close to downing that many.)

Thank you all for the support you gave to both BEYFlyer and me during that very difficult period last year and I hope to see you in Florida!

Last edited by chrissxb; Jul 4, 2007 at 12:42 pm Reason: typo, requested by OP
Old Jul 4, 2007, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the communitybuzz! moderators were happy to re-open the thread for this final post. have alot of fun at PBI

regards

chrissxb
co-moderator
communitybuzz!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.