FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New upgrade procedure at ARN
View Single Post
Old May 8, 2006, 6:23 am
tommy777

Originally Posted by GetAA81Back2ARN
A bit of ranting regarding upgrades procedures and op-ups.

Last week two colleagues flew ATL-EWR-ARN. They couldn't check in on the EWR-ARN segment in ATL so they needed to do that in EWR. Due to delays in ATL they landed late at EWR and needed to run to the check-in desk. They didn't get seat assignments (just GATE printed on the boarding pass) at check-in. The only thing the check-in staff said was that they wouldn't be able to sit together.

One person is EBS and he travelled on a Q fare. The other person is M&M basic member travelling on a V fare (I think based on the price). Nothing special, in other words.

At the gate the boarding was almost ready and they needed to wait a few minutes for the seat assignment.

The EBS passenger got a seat in C and the other passenger got a seat in Y. Nice for them but also a nice kick in the face for EBG-members on the plane.

A couple of weeks ago it happened to me OSL-CDG. Flight was very much oversold and one of the GAs had her hands full handing out vouchers and re-booking suckers to the next flight.

I didnt check in, but had a seat request in my booking, emergency exit. When I got to ghe gate, the GA handed me a boarding pass with 9C. I asked if there were possibilities for op-ups, she said I had to wait and I should just hang on to my BP (bad sign)
I waited by the gate because there were many seat at gate pax. The GA then upgraded around 6 pax to Y or C, I guarantee you none of them were EBG.

I then boarded and said to her: Why don't you upgrade EBGs? Isn't it right that the best customers gets a nice surprise every once in a while. She got red in the face and said yes.. I just boarded and forgot about it...