New upgrade procedure at ARN

Old May 6, 06, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
New upgrade procedure at ARN

Greetings from SK945 seat 08H.

Before I fall asleep up in the clouds I thought to mention that there is a new upgrade procedure in place at ARN. Points upgrades are now done by the service desk to reduce the workload at the gate (only 2 agents it seems). Hence I had to walk back from F62 after they figured out that there was a seat (since I had my request entered in the OSL Scandinavian Lounge that was not an issue)...

I asked if the next time if would be possible to stop by the service desk first and have them call the gate to clear a seat, and the agent said it should be ok. If one is lucky maybe the service center near the lounge is allowed to do this too, and one could enjoy the wait in the lounge and arrive fashionably late rather than to hang around at the gates...

The gate agent said that this was a trial, and that everything migh change again soon. No complaints for me though, I got what I wanted.

As a sidenote; the OSL lounge agent agreed that flying via ARN was a much better idea when wanting to upgrade with points. Seems like the the upgrade methodology of SK CPH is well known...
Old May 6, 06, 8:35 am

Programs: UA*G, SK-EBB, DL-G, IB-Silver Marriott Gold , HHonors Gold, SHG Gold
My last 2 point upgrades at ARN worked great. I check-in the day before at terminal with baggage using the 22 hour rule and inquire flight status. When no chance of op-up they list as wanting to use points for upgrade. I have been told that check-in time is supposed to play role in upgrade clearance order. (Web check-in must work as well though)

Morning of flight just walk right through security with only frustration being must cut lounge visit short to arrive early at service desk in F. The key seems to be that they have to call a gate agent to get them cleared, which I have had 100% success with so far. Service Desk has been 'helping' gate for at least the past year and I was not the only one they assisted. (gates seem to open later and then there's the security line to get to gate)

The one time I got op-uped this year check-in stated the day before that there might be a chance and recomended I just arrive early at the gate and try my luck, which I did and was successful with op-up as status and check-in time apparently plays a role there as well.

Odd that connecting passengers in CPH have such a problem if check-in should make a difference. While the facilities at CPH are great the service sure lags far behind.
Old May 6, 06, 9:52 am

Programs: SK*B, M&M
There was also a trial period earlier this year to make the last hour more smooth in the gate area with all checkin and seatarrangements done in advance. Is this a second test?

I have read about electronic upgrade coming up in June.
Anyone with further info?
How does it work? You book an Economy ticket and put a waitlist in an "upgrade bookings desingnator"`? This will be confirmed the day before?

/I
Old May 6, 06, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MADflyer
Morning of flight just walk right through security with only frustration being must cut lounge visit short to arrive early at service desk in F. The key seems to be that they have to call a gate agent to get them cleared, which I have had 100% success with so far. Service Desk has been 'helping' gate for at least the past year and I was not the only one they assisted. (gates seem to open later and then there's the security line to get to gate)
Maybe it wasn't that new a thing then. My impression was that it changed quite frequently. The attitude was kind of "well, we'll do this now, lets see what happens next time...".

The detour via the gate didn't really delay me much though. The passport guy let me pass straight through the second time.
Old May 7, 06, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
Is it really worth being EBG?

A bit of ranting regarding upgrades procedures and op-ups.

Last week two colleagues flew ATL-EWR-ARN. They couldn't check in on the EWR-ARN segment in ATL so they needed to do that in EWR. Due to delays in ATL they landed late at EWR and needed to run to the check-in desk. They didn't get seat assignments (just GATE printed on the boarding pass) at check-in. The only thing the check-in staff said was that they wouldn't be able to sit together.

One person is EBS and he travelled on a Q fare. The other person is M&M basic member travelling on a V fare (I think based on the price). Nothing special, in other words.

At the gate the boarding was almost ready and they needed to wait a few minutes for the seat assignment.

The EBS passenger got a seat in C and the other passenger got a seat in Y. Nice for them but also a nice kick in the face for EBG-members on the plane.

Last edited by GetAA81Back2ARN; May 7, 06 at 9:38 am Reason: Spelling
Old May 7, 06, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GetAA81Back2ARN
At the gate the boarding was almost ready and they needed to wait a few minutes for the seat assignment.

The EBS passenger got a seat in C and the other passenger got a seat in Y. Nice for them but also a nice kick in the face for EBG-members on the plane.
Well, it seems like the guy with status and on the expensive fare got better out of it than the guy with no status on a cheaper fare. I think that treatment is according to "expected behaviour".

And who knows... maybe the rest of the EBG bunch were already in C, or as parts of larger groups (families) who are harder to upgrade.
Old May 8, 06, 6:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

A bit of ranting regarding upgrades procedures and op-ups.

Last week two colleagues flew ATL-EWR-ARN. They couldn't check in on the EWR-ARN segment in ATL so they needed to do that in EWR. Due to delays in ATL they landed late at EWR and needed to run to the check-in desk. They didn't get seat assignments (just GATE printed on the boarding pass) at check-in. The only thing the check-in staff said was that they wouldn't be able to sit together.

One person is EBS and he travelled on a Q fare. The other person is M&M basic member travelling on a V fare (I think based on the price). Nothing special, in other words.

A couple of weeks ago it happened to me OSL-CDG. Flight was very much oversold and one of the GAs had her hands full handing out vouchers and re-booking suckers to the next flight.

I didnt check in, but had a seat request in my booking, emergency exit. When I got to ghe gate, the GA handed me a boarding pass with 9C. I asked if there were possibilities for op-ups, she said I had to wait and I should just hang on to my BP (bad sign)
I waited by the gate because there were many seat at gate pax. The GA then upgraded around 6 pax to Y or C, I guarantee you none of them were EBG.

I then boarded and said to her: Why don't you upgrade EBGs? Isn't it right that the best customers gets a nice surprise every once in a while. She got red in the face and said yes.. I just boarded and forgot about it...
Old May 9, 06, 12:47 pm

Programs: EBD
Originally Posted by tommy777
A couple of weeks ago it happened to me OSL-CDG. Flight was very much oversold and one of the GAs had her hands full handing out vouchers and re-booking suckers to the next flight.

I didnt check in, but had a seat request in my booking, emergency exit. When I got to ghe gate, the GA handed me a boarding pass with 9C. I asked if there were possibilities for op-ups, she said I had to wait and I should just hang on to my BP (bad sign)
I waited by the gate because there were many seat at gate pax. The GA then upgraded around 6 pax to Y or C, I guarantee you none of them were EBG.

I then boarded and said to her: Why don't you upgrade EBGs? Isn't it right that the best customers gets a nice surprise every once in a while. She got red in the face and said yes.. I just boarded and forgot about it...
I got op-up Q---->Y from ARN-CDG-ARN both ways on heavy loaded flights in April being an EBS. Nice for me, sure, but thinking of EBG's that most likely didn't get it doesn't seem fair. My friend who was on a different booking on the same flight, holding no status at all, was also upgraded!

Oh well, maybe all EBG's were kicked up to C...
Old May 9, 06, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by larsll
And who knows... maybe the rest of the EBG bunch were already in C, or as parts of larger groups (families) who are harder to upgrade.
Well, wouldn't that be a wonderful fairytale to tell all our children Maybe Santa Claus actually exists!

I think the main point I'm trying to make is that far to often when the overbooking/cancellation situation occur, the staff seems paralyzed. There is no planning ahead what so *** ever, they just wish for the best.

This is something that US and British carriers are MUCH better in dealing with and other European carriers must follow suit (in my opinion).
Old May 9, 06, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

I think the main point I'm trying to make is that far to often when the overbooking/cancellation situation occur, the staff seems paralyzed. There is no planning ahead what so *** ever, they just wish for the best.
I agree. How hard is it? Create a little routine in the check-in system that does upgrades based on some simple criteria, so when they are in a tight spot they simply press the button and the system sorts it out.

Now I believe what they very often do close to departure is to upgrade whoever has no seat...
Old May 9, 06, 11:55 pm

I agree. How hard is it? Create a little routine in the check-in system that does upgrades based on some simple criteria, so when they are in a tight spot they simply press the button and the system sorts it out.
We are talking about SAS IT... So maybe it is very hard. But the gate attendants have all information already today so they should be able to sort this things out. It is a qustion of routines and knowledge AND a way to keep "their most loyal customers" happy.
Old May 9, 06, 11:58 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo,SPG Gold,HH Gold,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum (IEC&FI)

Now I believe what they very often do close to departure is to upgrade whoever has no seat...
It does not seem to be always uncontrolled. Just recently I travelled from Ukraine to home via Vienna and Copenhagen. They could not issue my boarding passes in Ukraine for whatever reasons and I just asked for my boarding passes in Austrian lounge. They printed them without a problem as I already was checked-in and then I noticed the upgrade to C for VIE-CPH. So SAS Operations or whatever organization doing their job before the flight had already upgraded me

Well, then I noticed that they are extremely strict about carry-on luggage and weight on fully booked flights and I had to check my hand luggage at the gate.
Old May 10, 06, 12:12 am

Miikka, you are absolutely right. There are a lot of very good people out there being service minded and well aware of the procedures, regardless if it is SAS Operations or gate attendants etc. That is unfortunately sometimes easy to forget.

I had a wonderful SK crew CDG-ARN in the beginning of the week which clearly reminded me of the good old days.
Old May 13, 06, 5:37 pm

Programs: AAadvantage, EBG, PP
Took my usual trip Thursday, May 11 CPH-EWR. Been doing that every two weeks for close to a year now. Booked in full-fare Y (Econ Extra). Asked about seat availability at the Scandinavian Louge. Nice lady said SK909 was full in econ, but nice availability in Y and C. Asked if she should put in a request for upgrade for points, but frankly, after 20+ R/T CPH-EWR trips in the past nine months, I was sort of hoping for a free upgrade.

Obviously, no such luck. Was courtly told at gate that I was welcome to upgrade for points. Declined. So that's some 41 transcontinental full-fare Econ Extra and Econ trips without a single upgrade. Obviously, I'm EBG. Obviously, that doesn't make a difference (on flight, both Y and C was magically full, of course, so somebody paid for upgrade, or got it somehow else).

Will look hard at flying Continental in the future. Upgrade availability can't be worse, and apparently SAS doesn't really appreciate my business anyway.

Sorry for the rant, but I think it's sort of ridiculous by now.
Old May 14, 06, 4:57 am

Programs: EBD, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Thumbs down

I've always been very satisfied with the upgrade procedures at ARN for EWR and ORD but last week to ORD was a complete disaster. I was aiming for an upgrade to Y or C with points so got in one of the lines for the Service Desk at pier F at 8.50 waiting for them to open. When it was my turn I was told that they were out of seats in both C and Y but that I could check at the gate. A minute earlier, a lady in the line next to me had been upgraded to C with points being EBB!

At the gate I was told the same thing, no availability. Once again though, as I approached the counter one of the agents were just finishing an upgrade of a EBS member to Y. I asked the GA what on earth was going on referring to the just finished upgrades I had bewitnessed and she replied that "getting the flight out on time is our top priority so we don't always have time to check things like status". That was 9.20, 55 minutes before departure!

This was by far my worst experience with SAS at ARN and it made me so sad that the staff had dropped themselves to the level of they're terrible colleagues at CPH.

Last edited by Paby; May 14, 06 at 8:52 am Reason: Clarification that I wanted to use points

Search this Thread