FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien [Master Thread]
Old Apr 5, 2006, 8:53 pm
SportsTech

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kluau88
As a Platinum member who has stayed there many times since January 2005 I haven't had to haggle over upgrades. If they can't upgrade you to a suite, they will likely put you on the 5th floor and offer you breakfast from the restaurant. As with any properties upgrades are based on availability. Regardless the staff here are pleasant and the Sheraton is still the best of the 3 properties in Singapore where you can earn stay credits. If you think the Sheraton is bad, I'm afraid to see what you'll think of the rooms at the LM Orchard.
I'm Plat as well, and in fact moved over to the SIN Sheraton from the Ritz Carlton - AT EXACTLY THE SAME RATE - because I expected typical international Plat treatment - i.e. excellence. Had I actually checked out the hotel before moving, I would have (should have) stayed at the Ritz; they simply aren't comparable hotels. I noted that the staff was decent but the 5th floor room I was offered smelled like the inside of an ashtray, and the veranda it came with wasn't particularly compelling. Otherwise, the room was small, and the bathroom was dated.

For those who think this is "better than any US Sheraton", I suggest 2 things: 1) that simply isn't true, there are a number of comparable US Sheraton properties, including the much-maligned New York Tower and the Sheraton Boston, and 2) that is a VERY low bar for comparison. Relative to other INTERNATIONAL Sheratons, this one doesn't rate in my opinion, and is significantly overpriced to boot.