FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature card [2017 and earlier]
Old Mar 13, 2006, 1:55 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Perhaps some of the concern on Chase's end is how to "upgrade" an existing account number vs. just opening a new account.

I applied for a new account. I figured worst case: I'm buying a Cat 4 night for $65. I know I'll use it, so no risk on my end. I wanted the cert, plus the ability to earn the extra 2 points per dollar on stays as soon as possible, so I opted for a new card.

Eventually, I expect that existing cardmembers will receive plenty of promotional materials advertising the new product. Right now, most people don't even know about the new card. Eventually, we'll get slick direct-mail pieces extolling the virtues of paying $65/yr for this product, instead of staying on our $19-30/yr. Marriott Visa. They want people to switch. They will eventually make it easy for us to do so (and, I suspect they'll keep some or all of the sign-up perks in place to convince us to click that link). They just aren't quite there yet.