Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature card [2017 and earlier]

Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What are the current offers?
Is there a business version of this card?
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?

See concurrent discussion in the wikis at
Marriott Credit Card Offers & Associated Benefits (2016) and
Chase Free Night Certificate
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet -- nothing came up in a search...

With the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature Card, earn up to 5 Marriott Rewards points for every dollar spent using your new card.

Redeem your points for free nights at fantastic vacation destinations and other travel and entertainment packages.

15,000 Bonus Points after your first purchase using the card.

Receive a Free Night stay certificate upon account opening and each year upon account anniversary.

Earn 5 points for every $1 spent at over 2,600 Marriott locations.

Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on airline, dining and rental car purchases as well as 1 point for every $1 on all other purchases.

Receive 15 nights toward your next Elite membership level in Marriott Rewards every year, enjoy Silver Elite status or better.

2 for 1 Golf coupon upon account opening.

Click here to apply now or call 1-800-630-0831 to apply by phone and mention card code 5ZF3.

http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webc...U&msc=Z0048888
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Not a bad deal - I am a current Marriott Rewards Signature card holder so I called for details. I was able to get a Premier card as a 'new holder' so was able to receive all the signup bonuses. Also, by calling, I was able to get them to waive the annual fee for the first year (which is interesting, because on the app online it states the annual fee as $65, but on the phone I was told the annual fee after the first year would be $30)
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:01 am

That is fantastic that you were able to "upgrade" to the new premier card. It states in the rules that this promotion is only available to new applicants.

Good Deal!

Dash
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:04 am
Suspended

miller4isu, didnt say that they Upgraded to this Premier card. I thought they applied for it and got acceptted , so now they have both the Signature and Premier card.

just as you can have both a Signature and Biz Card and get all the freebes for getting each one.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
The room certificates are category 1-4 after you sign up for the card and a category 1-5 certificate for each anniversary of your card membership thereafter.

I think Marriott's credit card will now offer the best opportunity to earn hotel points on charges for hotel stays. IMHO, 5 Marriott points are worth more than 1 Starwood point or 5 HHonors points. The Starwood American Express Card and the Hilton American Express Card still offer better awards for non-hotel charges.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:16 am

Sorry I was not clear - I did indeed sign up as a 'new' cardholder. As was stated, 'upgrades' do not receive the new signup bonuses. And yes, you can have both cards and receive both bonuses ^

I have never seen it posted this way, but let's see if I have this correct (I had the rep on the phone explain it to me). If I were to stay at a Marriott brand hotel for 1 night for $100 and paid on my Marriott Premier CC, I would get the following:

1,000 Marriott points for being a MR member (10 points per $1)
500 points for paying with the MR Premier CC (5 points per $1)
200 bonus points for being a MR silver member (20% bonus on the 1,000 points)

total of 1,700 points for a $100 stay

Does that sound correct?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
It sounds correct as long as the $100 in charges are for the room or incidentals, excluding room tax. I am still a bit surprised that you were able to receive all the bonuses even though you signed up for a second card because the fine print states that the 15,000 bonus points will not be given to current Marriott Visa Signature cardholders.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by VA1379
The room certificates are category 1-4 after you sign up for the card and a category 1-5 certificate for each anniversary of your card membership thereafter.

I think Marriott's credit card will now offer the best opportunity to earn hotel points on charges for hotel stays. IMHO, 5 Marriott points are worth more than 1 Starwood point or 5 HHonors points. The Starwood American Express Card and the Hilton American Express Card still offer better awards for non-hotel charges.
I would tend to agree that for Marriott stays the 5 points per $ are at the top of the heap. I would rate the 2 points per $ for the air, dining, and rental car charges as being on par with the HHonors AMEX 3 points per $ and 1 Starwood point for the same types of charges. The 1 point per $ for everything else is clearly not competitive with anything....it's a loser. (Incidentally, the current US Air Mastercard offer of 1.5 miles per $ on ALL charges for the first year, and no annual fee, I believe tops all three of the cards mentioned, except for charges are respective hotel properties where Marriott and Hilton both offer 5 points per $.)

$65 annual fee is a lot for this card, although I suppose the free night stay cert received annually offsets this. The Ts & Cs state the offer is open only to new MR VISA cardholders. Wonder if former cardholders are eligible for the bonuses?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MileKing
I would tend to agree that for Marriott stays the 5 points per $ are at the top of the heap. I would rate the 2 points per $ for the air, dining, and rental car charges as being on par with the HHonors AMEX 3 points per $ and 1 Starwood point for the same types of charges. The 1 point per $ for everything else is clearly not competitive with anything....it's a loser. (Incidentally, the current US Air Mastercard offer of 1.5 miles per $ on ALL charges for the first year, and no annual fee, I believe tops all three of the cards mentioned, except for charges are respective hotel properties where Marriott and Hilton both offer 5 points per $.)

$65 annual fee is a lot for this card, although I suppose the free night stay cert received annually offsets this. The Ts & Cs state the offer is open only to new MR VISA cardholders. Wonder if former cardholders are eligible for the bonuses?
also very Valuable is the 15 nights credited each yr towards Elite Status. so it will take 60 for Plat and 35 for Gold. Only Silver used to be 15 and now is 10 I believe so maybe they will be giving 10 nights credit instead of the 15. Or maybe they will just give Silver and not the # of nights Credited. Getting Silver for free still takes 50 for Gold & 75 for Plat
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Starwood Plat, United 1K
It sounds like this makes sense for Marriott hotel stays but what about non-hotel charges?

I think I get 1 mile per dollar spent on my United Visa. THe new marriott card states 2 miles per dollar. Is there a catch in terms of redeming miles?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by MileKing
The free night certificates are available to anyone who applies for the new Marriott Rewards Premiere Visa Signature Card. Unlike the 15000 bonus points, the T&C does not exclude existing Marriott Rewards Visa Signature cardholders. If you do not currently have a Marriott credit card, you should be eligible for all of the bonuses being offered with the Premiere Visa card.

Originally Posted by tk77
THe new marriott card states 2 miles per dollar.
It is actually 2 Marriott points per dollar charged on airline, dining, and rental cars, and 1 Marriott point per dollar on all other non-hotel spending. If you want airline miles instead of Marriott points, you are better off using your United Visa for non-hotel spending because it usually takes more than 2 Marriott points to exchange for 1 airline mile unless you exchange enough points for a travel package where the miles are acquired at 1 point per mile. Some of your points in the travel package will go towards the mandatory 7 free hotel nights. You can redeem for up to 120,000 miles on domestic carriers.

marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi?WT_Ref=mi_left
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:53 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
Originally Posted by miller4isu
Also, by calling, I was able to get them to waive the annual fee for the first year (which is interesting, because on the app online it states the annual fee as $65, but on the phone I was told the annual fee after the first year would be $30)
Who did you call to get the first year waived? I have been calling 8 different customer service numbers and can't get anyone to give me the same deal you received.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 7:20 am

I actually started my call at the Chase customer service number to inquire about the new card. When I said I was interested, I was transferred to something like the "applications department". The rep I spoke with went over the differences between the regular signature card and the new Premier card with me, and I agreed to sign up. My wife called in later to sign up, and didn't get offered the free fee year either. I think one of three things happened when I called:
1) I just got really lucky (doubtful)
2) The rep made a mistake (will it be corrected?)
3) The rep actually signed me up for the OLD signature card which does come with the first year free. I guess we will see when I get the card in the mail.......
I did call back later to confirm the card being approved, and it was. That makes me think it probably was the new Premier card since I already have the old signature card........
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:16 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
I've had a telemarketer from Chase trying to track me down the last week about the new card. I guess I'll have to take their call and sign up for the new card--sounds like a great deal.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
also very Valuable is the 15 nights credited each yr towards Elite Status. so it will take 60 for Plat and 35 for Gold. Only Silver used to be 15 and now is 10 I believe so maybe they will be giving 10 nights credit instead of the 15. Or maybe they will just give Silver and not the # of nights Credited. Getting Silver for free still takes 50 for Gold & 75 for Plat
For those who are borderline to Gold or Platinum, this feature is well worth the annual fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.