FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sharm El Sheikh (Hyatt) & Taba Heights (NO LONGER HYATT) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:16 pm
Bondiboy

Egyptian Resorts: Taba Heights and Sharm el Sheikh

Following a conference in Jordan last month, I paid short visits to the two Hyatt Resorts in Sinai, Egypt and I would like to share my impressions.

Both of these resorts are exceptional properties and exceptional value. They are both classified as category 1 for awards, and the mid-week rates are quite affordable ($90 at Taba Heights and about $120 at Sharm) if you wish to save your points.

Both resorts are situated on the Red Sea. There are modern, well maintained and extensive measures have been taken to ensure security, including several check points, x-ray machines, guards and the somewhat inconvenient - but very welcome, given the location - practice of making all guests disembark from their taxis/cars at the main gate and continuing to reception in golf carts.

Taba heights is located within a few miles of the border with Israel and the Hyatt is one of several resorts located in the Taba Heights Village. Other resorts include the Marriott and a Sofitel. Taba Heights does not have a Regency Club, but there is excellent recognition given to Diamonds, including:
* welcome amenity (fruit basket) upon arrival;
* free upgrade to the most superior room (Lagoon);
* complimentary continental breakfast (can be served in room);
* one complimentary coffee or tea of soft beverage daily in any restaurant;
* free use of tennis courts;
* 25% discount on spa treatments;
* Late check-out till 6pm upon request.

Taba Heights has extensive water sports facilities, seven restaurants and several bars.

I would be very happy to return again if I happened to be in the area. I cannot imagine making a specific journey to get there.

The Hyatt Regency Sharm el Sheikh is 200 km south of Taba and is another exceptional property that (in my view) rivals Kauai, but on a smaller scale.
Sharm offers extensive water sports facilities (includint a "Water World") and tennis facilities. There is also a Kids Club and children's activity center.

As a Diamond, I was upgraded to a very large ocean view room in the Regency Club. The room had its own private verandah with sun chairs and table. The Regency Club has its own private swimming pools and beach and was not crowded in any way. The Regency Club offered a continantal breakfast, soft drinks and coffee during the day and a happy hour in the evening. The food offerings were mostly in the nature of snacks (cookies, peanuts, crackers, cheese, etc.

I would be very happy to return again if I happened to be in the area. I cannot imagine making a specific journey to get there.